Re: password on opening

From: Kent W. England [MVP] (kwe_at_mvps.org)
Date: 12/20/03

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 08:15:21 -0800

Ah, then consider setting a BIOS boot password. I expect you don't have
a motherboard manual, but if you can press the right key (DEL, F1, F10)
when you boot to enter the BIOS setup, look around and see if you can
set a password that must be entered before the computer is allowed to
boot.

DO NOT FORGET THIS PASSWORD. BIOS security is a lot harder to crack than
Windows security.

You might also try something like removing the mouse. Or, if you have a
wireless keyboard or wireless mouse, put them in a locked drawer.
Another simple idea is to place the computer in the family room or
kitchen nook where they cannot use it without being seen.

That reminds me of an old Monty Python skit "How not to be seen" that
spoofs BBC documentaries.

--
Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
<shortnold1@hotmail.com.com> wrote in
> Hi Kent,
> Thanks for your reply.
> What I am trying to do is keep my grandchildren off the
> computer when they are being punished. I'm not concerned
> about the security aspect of it.
> Thanks again.
> Dave Metz
> shortnold1@hotmail.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: CD-ROM & Floppy Drives Dont Work
    ... many things that could well have been done to a W98 [any ... W98 Windows Explorer in either ... Find out if the 6 year old knows how to get into the BIOS, ... See if it will boot from the CD. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Dual Boot Conundrum
    ... I have a new Dell 64 bit Windows 7 machine which boots properly (and ... quickly) from its factory disk when the BIOS setting for the SATA ... OS will only boot with the BIOS set to RAID. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Dual Boot Conundrum
    ... I have a new Dell 64 bit Windows 7 machine which boots properly (and ... quickly) from its factory disk when the BIOS setting for the SATA ... OS will only boot with the BIOS set to RAID. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Future of OS/2 : was: ECS questions
    ... Booting Window first, then making a hot reboot to OS/2, works fine. ... The problem sounds like some sort of BIOS restriction that OS/2 doesn't know what to do with. ... Microsoft entered into an agreement with Phoenix to integrate their BIOS more closely with Windows and maybe this is some of the dubious fruit from that. ... The interesting thing for me is that cold-booting to Windows with your system somehow changes something on the system so that a subsequent warm boot to OS/2 will succeed. ...
    (comp.os.os2.misc)
  • Re: 2 wondows versions detected on pc startup?
    ... Alternative to RegEdit find of Windows ... BIOS examines the very first sector of the disk for a Master Boot Record ... Data Type: REG_MULTI_SZ ...