Norton Internet Security 2003 // switched off and could not be turned on again

From: Wolfgang Keller (wk_at_objectarchitects.de)
Date: 12/20/03

Date: 20 Dec 2003 03:29:44 -0800

Hi,

I got the following behaviour which might stem from an attack or
(which I think is more likely) from a malfunction of Internet Security 2003
The symptoms ..
* first I noticed that I could not connect to any https:// site
* then I noticed that the Virus Scanner and the Firewall were switched
  off
* then I tried to switch them on again but I was blocked by the password
  feature to do so
If an attacker would have done such a thing, then this would look the
hell like an attack - but I'm behind two firewalls and therefore the
machine is not very likely to get victim to port scans - email attacks would be
most likely for such a pattern - but I've seen no actual worm in the
alerts that has such a behavior and I tend to erase any unknown emails, do not
use outlook and the like ...

Anybody seen something similar?

Thanks

Wolfgang

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Content Switch as security device?
    ... A content switch is meant to balance L3->L4 ... like a SYN attack, replay, or any other you can think of. ... Using a firewall will provide you stateful inspection of each packet to prevent anyone ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: thoughts on kernel security issues
    ... I'm pretty sure that you only get a 3 second delay on the specific ... as a test, switch to vc/0 and enter 'root', then press enter. ... Switch to vc/1, and enter 'root', then press enter. ... Automating an attack on about 10 different ssh connections shouldn't be ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: MiM Simultaneous close attack
    ... Subject: MiM Simultaneous close attack ... Flood your switch with MAC announcements ... Sniff the initial ARP broadcast and reply (hassle for all packets) ... >> switched network is not security. ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Mapping a network
    ... Are you receiving CDP from the switch? ... you another attack point. ... If CDP indicates a voice vlan is enabled then you could pretend to be ... DHCP server in that VLAN will probably hand you a tftp server IP. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Roguelike development diary
    ... Second, you have to have something better to switch to, including the ... a creature that didn't know about your resistance showing ... It might be worth the switch, but that's a player judgement call. ... It picks the highest damage of the attack, ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.development)