Re: Windows Update <=> Microsoft Security Bulletin

From: SBU Team [MSFT] (sbuteam_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 12/06/03

Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:25:01 -0800

Hi folks,

We aim to release the patches for 'manual' installation to the Micrsoft
download center (the MSxx-xxx patches Olaf talks about) at exactly the same
time as the same patches get released to Windows Update. All security
patches go on Windows Update as Critical updates. So if you are a small
business or individual user, Windows Update should meet all you needs.
Better still, if you are using Windows XP, use Automatic Update, which will
go and check Windows Update every day for you.

thanks!

--
Microsoft Security Business Unit team
"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> There have been occasions in the past when a particular patch has been
> available sooner via the msxx-xxx routes, rather than WindowsUpdate.
>
> Recent patches, however, have been released simultaneously--they are there
> on WindowsUpdate as soon as the security bulletin is issued.
>
> I would expect this to continue--so I believe depending on WindowsUpdate
for
> the vast majority of folks is a fine recommendation.
>
> Professionals who want to read all the gory details should contine to
watch
> for MS03-052, etc, and read the details as they come out.
> (hint: MS03-052 has not yet been issued--I'm using this number on a
> theoretical basis!)
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> > Olaf;
> > Windows Update takes care of those.
> > ALL Critical Updates are taken care of by Windows Update.
> >
> > --
> > Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
> > An easier way to read newsgroup messages:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/newsgroups/setup.asp
> > http://dts-l.org/index.html
> >

> > "Olaf Coolic" <olaf.coolic@chello.at> wrote in message
> > > Hi NG,
> > >
> > > I do check for updates nearly everyday and if there are any I do
> > install
> > > them from windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> > >
> > > There are also some updates like Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-39
> > >
> > > Is it enough to update with windowsupdate.microsoft.com or I should
> > also
> > > install patches like MSxx-xx
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Olaf

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IE patches killed internet connection
    ... IE to download/install from Windows Update manually, so don't even try using Firefox. ... Later, Auto Update reoffered the security update, but I was ... Microsoft.com to try to download manually, but I have to use Firefox to ... install all patches offered except for SP2. ...
  • Re: KB 905915 and KB 910437 automatic update, USB failures, Delayed Write Error for external USB 2.0
    ... The second is a Windows Update to fix broken Windows Update. ... >those two checkboxes on and the two patches installed got me nowhere, ... >unchecked the two checkboxes in the XP firewall and tried copying, ... mileage irrespective of what the patch is supposed to do. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: lsass.exe worm
    ... In those cases all the patches wre self extracting ZIP files. ... Since *all* my LAN users must login to the Domain, and run the Login Script, they all get ... i can reboot the platform useing the Kix command; shutdown() ... Run Windows Update regularly to ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • RE: Help with XP Hotfixes and Patches
    ... Help with XP Hotfixes and Patches ... > After installing I immediately went to Windows Update to try and grab ... > I have run the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer thru several times ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)