Re: General security issues

From: Chuck (none_at_example.com)
Date: 12/05/03

Date: 5 Dec 2003 13:50:04 -0600

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 07:25:29 -0800, "Doug"

>The company I work for is considering putting in a
>single "larger" server that would act as the mail server
>and also file server. We will probably install Server
>2003. There are about 150 mail accounts. The
>application that would be initially installed would be
>financial/payroll. there will probably be about 30 users
>on the finance/payroll application. Web information may
>also be added later.
>
>Am I pushing my luck with network traffic and more
>importantly security?
>
>Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
>Thanks

Doug,

You are asking a lot of vague questions.

A 30 user finance / payroll application, and a 150 mail account
application, suggests a corporate structure of some complexity, and
probably considerable exposure created by connecting to the internet.
Security should be a major concern.

Are you in charge of this effort? If so, you should hire an
experienced network / server / security analyst. If you are looking
to be that person yourself, you will need a lot of training in those
topics.

There are plenty of experts here, and in other discussion groups, who
can help get you started. Off the top of my head, you will probably
need advice from folks in these groups:
alt.computer.security
comp.security.firewalls
microsoft.public.security (You are here, that's a start)
microsoft.public.win2000.networking
microsoft.public.win2000.security

Please provide details. Describe your company, what your current
network setup is, what legal responsibilities you have, etc. Whatever
you feel comfortable providing to an open public forum.

Cheers,

Chuck
I hate spam - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!

  • Re: << SBS News of the week - Sept 26 >>
    ... > And he points to the info you need to put the file on the server in the ... > at the network perimeter. ... The Symantec Firewall/VPN and the Gateway Security ... An attacker can exploit these flaws in tandem via specially ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • << SBS News of the week - Sept 26 >>
    ... And he points to the info you need to put the file on the server in the ... at the network perimeter. ... The Symantec Firewall/VPN and the Gateway Security ... by the firewall at risk. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)