Escalation of privilege

From: Nicolas Macarez (macarez_at_free.fr)
Date: 11/17/03

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:27:23 +0100

Hi Everyone
I am working on a Windows 2000 Professional desktop (no domain controller,
no Active Directory, everything is local).

When a user, without any admin rights, logs on, a logon script is executed.
This VB script (WSH and WMI stuff) modifies some registry keys and entries
under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and I need to run this script with the admin
rights - otherwise certain entries are not modified because the users doen't
have the right to do so.

How can I escalate the privilege INSIDE my script, and then release the
rights afterwards, once the session is opened ?

Help greatly appreciated !

Nicolas

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Changing Registry ACL (need some more help)
    ... I tried SetACL.exe and I can't get in to the users registry. ... The user has admin rights to his/her computer and has removed the ... I tried this first using a login script. ... Probably because of the rights. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.wsh)
  • Re: Unable to map drive under Taskmanager
    ... The script works when ... > under a user with Administrative rights. ... Local Admin rights or admin rights ... on the remote machine as well? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: Escalation of privilege
    ... This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights. ... > This VB script modifies some registry keys and entries ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Escalation of privilege
    ... When a user, without any admin rights, logs on, a logon script is executed. ... This VB script modifies some registry keys and entries ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Escalation of privilege
    ... access to the registry keys they need access to ... ... > This VB script modifies some registry keys and entries ... > rights - otherwise certain entries are not modified because the users ...
    (microsoft.public.security)