Re: Critical Update KB828035

From: Mike T (
Date: 11/16/03

    Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:16:50 GMT

    Buffer Overrun in Messenger Service Could Allow Code Execution (828035)
    Issued: October 15, 2003
    Updated: November 14, 2003
    Version Number: 2.2

    See all Windows bulletins released October, 2003

    Who Should Read This Document: Customers using Microsoft® Windows®

    Impact of Vulnerability: Remote Code Execution

    Maximum Severity Rating: Critical

    Recommendation: Customers should disable the Messenger Service immediately
    and evaluate their need to deploy the patch

    Patch Replacement: None

    Why is Microsoft reissuing this security update?
    Subsequent to the release of this bulletin, it was determined that the
    update for Windows XP did not properly place the updated file wkssvc.dll
    into the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache. This problem is unrelated to the
    security vulnerability discussed in this bulletin. Microsoft recommends that
    customers who have previously applied the security update reinstall the
    latest version to insure that their system remains protected in the event
    that the wkssvc.dll is ever deleted or becomes corrupt.

    What version of Windows does this update apply to?
    The only version of Windows affected by this specific issue is Windows XP.

    "Bobby" <> wrote in message
    > Would someone be able to tell me why I had to download
    > Critical Update KB828035 today? I already downloaded it
    > (successfully) on October 19, 2003!
    > (Both of them now appear in download history as
    > successful downloads.)
    > Thanks

    • Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-069
      ... This information should be indicated in the security bulletin. ... > Is it safe to assume then that for any patch that directs user to Windows ... but I'd like to download it and install it on my users' systems. ...
    • Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin Release for February 2, 2004
      ... > MS04-004 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer ... > Windows Server 2003) ... > bulletin were reported publicly prior to this announcement the Internet ...
    • Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-069
      ... You Can get the patch from the Windows Upate Catalog. ... the Frequently Asked Questions section of the bulletin. ... Select "Find Updates for Microsoft Operating Systems". ...
    • Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-069
      ... That article leads you to the article for the bulletin. ... has to be downloaded from Windows Update Catalog. ... > and could not find the patch for that bulletin Q810030. ... > but it really seems like there is no way to download NT patches that are ...
    • Re: Active-X wie installiert man ActiveX?
      ... Artikeln und Bulletins zu Updates nicht wirklich ein Ruhmesblatt. ... Das kann kein Windows XP sein, sondern *war* Windows 2000, gell? ... das Bulletin und die Release Notes zu MSXML 3.0 SP7. ... Es gibt kein Bulletin zu MSXML 3.0 SP7. ...