Re: question for Bill sanderson

From: Keith W. McCammon (km_at_km.com)
Date: 10/16/03

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:12:58 -0400

I'm not Bill, but . . . :)

You need to go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. This utility exists
for the very purpose that you describe. Download and install your service
packs first, and then go immediately back and see what you're missing in the
critical updates section.

Once you don't see any critical updates, you're in good shape. From there,
you can continue to check the utility from time to time to see if anything
pops up.

You should also see http://microsoft.com/security, sign up for the alerts,
and continue to check that page from time to time. Lots of good stuff
there...

"Mr" <Mr_anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi-I have been reading these posts in hope of trying to
> learn a thing or two-It seems that you are well informed
> about microsoft windows updates-
> Im so new to the internet world & have a question:
> How can I check on my pc to see if I have all the needed
> updates that are automatically downloaded from windows?
> I went to the add/remove prgrams and saw I had a few
> hotfix updates installed-then I checked on a link to see
> if they matched the ones there (I dont know if I went to
> the right link but it was one that you recommended)
> Should I go to a link and install all or any patches that
> are not in my pc to make sure that I am safe-I have only
> had access to the internet for one year to date. So do I
> go only to that beginning date-I hope my question is
> understood-I appreciate your help on these updates.thanks

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Update complete, windows continues to want to install file aga
    ... Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Update Support. ... Please double click the file msicuu2.exe on the Desktop to install this ... Please refer to the following link to download MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Download and SAVE critical updates?
    ... :>create my own update CD to use when and if I clean install in the future. ... Then go to Updates for Operating systems, select Windows XP SP1 ... put critical updates in a download basket to download and save. ... I used the Temp Int files method to copy the critical updates I had ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: I Screwed up Windows XP install
    ... got the first 59 critical updates and installed them, ... Get the whole SP2 as a separate download, save it to CD for later ... and install it from the local dowload. ... I tried the Windows XP disk first and seemed to work fine, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: I see Microsoft is phasing out Windows Update
    ... Download you critical updates here and install yourself if M$ is too ... I can always download and do my own rollouts but Microsoft would really do me a service and help me if Windows updates are installed off the Internet at the client machines. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • XP Pro new installation, slow downloads.
    ... I just did a clean install of XP Pro, and let it do the networking ... setup via the automatic settings thingy.... ... the download speed is only about 4k/sec or less most of the time... ... so far it's installed 13 of the 28 critical updates that were ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)