Re: Trackers Second Review Response

From: FromTheRafters (!0000_at_nomad.fake)
Date: 10/02/03

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:53:52 -0400

"Mimic" <null@void.net> wrote in message news:ds6cnSLdt-P_vOGiXTWJlg@brightview.com...
> "W. Blevins" <wblevins@NOMORESWENmchsi.com> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 01:27:41 +0100, "Mimic" <null@void.net> wrote:
> >
> > >Tracker, consider me a newbie, a new computer user, how does cable and
> dsl
> > >work if you dont have a phone line ?
> >

> > Only DSL requires a phone line.
>
> We generally dont do cable over here, but i thought the Cable line brought
> in the Phone and the TV and the Net, wouldnt you class that as internet over
> the phone line ?even if they are on different "channels"

Generally when speaking of "phone line" it is in reference to
the physical transmission medium. Phone lines consist of
what is called a "twisted pair" of conductors. Cable may
incorporate the function of telephone communications, but
it uses coaxial cable (a mode of waveguide rather than a
conductor), where the signal is propagated through the
dielectric medium between the inner and outer conductors.
I think that DSL and ADSL are ways of multiplexing the
signal so that a greater bandwidth is achieved with a twisted
pair than was previously possible.