Re: New Email always opens up WMP9? Virus/Worm??

From: N. Miller (koko_at_soko.invalid)
Date: 09/30/03

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:28:17 -0700

In article <1b7e01c3866d$1a3f0200$a301280a@phx.gbl>, ss@ss.com says...
> I use the Juno e-mail client application on my XP Pro
> system as my main E-mail application. For the last 2 or 3
> weeks, every day I will get an email from a unknown user
> for one of my e-mail accounts.

Stop using it.

> How can I prevent WMP9 to responds to commands or Scripts
> from emails to open up WMP9? I looked high and low in my
> Juno account settings, and there isn't any option to
> disable scripts in emails that I know of? Is this setting
> in my 'Internet Options' somewhere? BTW, I have the 'Run
> script commands when present' unchecked in the
> Options>Security tab.
>
> Can someone help me figure all of this out. Thanks guys.

You need to lock down the Internet zone in Internet Properties. This will
get very annoying very quickly, which is why a lot of people refuse to use
MSIE for their browser...

In the Custom Settings of the Internet zone, change everything that is set
to "Enable", to "Prompt" instead. After this, instead of running WMP9, Juno
should prompt you that something wants to run a script, and ask for your
permission.

I have often toyed with the idea of reverting to an earlier version of the
Juno program. But I really only use Juno mail for running "sock puppets",
and the like. Very limited use because it doesn't really integrate with my
other mail handlers.

Finally, my recommendation. Dump the Juno mail client; heck, just dump Juno
Mail for any main use. It is too tightly integrated with MSIE, and doesn't
offer the MSOL/MSOE option of putting it into the Restricted sites zone.

MSOE can be secured as well as Pegasus Mail very easily, now; though people
who love their HTML email hate PM, or MSOE when it is secured against
attachments. But I don't see any way of securing the Juno mail application
against what you are seeing without slowing you down with a bazillion script
prompts.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain