Re: Shame on Microsoft

From: BitsNotBytes (bitsnotbytes_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/21/03

Date: 21 Aug 2003 14:19:20 -0700

I'm not even going to waste my time rereading the original advisory.
All I remember is the port numbers and patch install. There was no
mentioned too disable the port which would have clued me to ask the
question how instead of complain after the fact. The mention of ICF
for XP came later when people were infected before the patch was
installed. I'm not into conspiracies but obviously the patch solved
other unmentioned problems besides the RPC port buffer overflow
possibility which would have been apparent even if the port was
disabled.

BitsNotBytes

"Karl Levinson [x y], mvp" <levinson_k@despammed.com> wrote in message news:<O8n#z0$ZDHA.736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> It is not entirely clear in the article, but the mention of the IP filtering
> on the Blaster worm is meant to be TEMPORARY to allow you to download the
> patch. It is not meant to be the first line of defence against the worm.
>
> I saw the draft of the Blaster advisory and know that it too mentioned
> installing a firewall. You want to install a firewall really, because IP
> filtering using the IPSec or TCP/IP Filtering features in Windows is NOT a
> firewall replacement.
>

> > "BitsNotBytes" <bitsnotbytes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I wished MS would have said something about this alternative in their
> > > security bulletin a month ago. I drilled down and found the port
> > > enable/disable setting which is your first line of protection if you
> > > don't use a firewall or couldn't install the patch.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > BitsNotBytes
> > >
> > > "Ed Crowley" <curspice@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> under

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Event ID 6161 for HP 6840
    ... patch related to an exposure via the print spooler service. ... download which offers the option of a local port. ... >> There were no problems with the install and the printer works find so long ... >> 3) All machines on the network can connect to the printer via Internet ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • 832894 phish fix -- TCP broken
    ... terminal window and tried to connect to port 25 -- connection refused. ... 10/2003 so I tried fixing the current install. ... Patch 832894 shows no information for rolling the patch back. ... Made a ghost image of my current Win2K partition. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: nedit problem
    ... there is no maintainer for that port. ... Place the attached patch (or a trimmed version of the patch from the ... clean install&& make clean', or use your favorite third-party port ... and packages that depend on it, you will probably need to update them ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Shame on Microsoft
    ... They specifically mentioned using the firewall on XP till the ... the port till the patch was installed. ... >> don't use a firewall or couldn't install the patch. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Office 2003 Updates error - ouerror.gif (0/1)
    ... it would not let me install ... attempting to install any of the individual, downloaded patch EXE?s? ... No valid sequence could be found for the set of patches. ... Office Professional Edition 2003 Version 11.0.6361.0: ...
    (microsoft.public.officeupdate)