Re: Shame on Microsoft

From: Karl Levinson [x y], mvp (levinson_k_at_despammed.com)
Date: 08/21/03

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:52:52 -0400

It is not entirely clear in the article, but the mention of the IP filtering
on the Blaster worm is meant to be TEMPORARY to allow you to download the
patch. It is not meant to be the first line of defence against the worm.

I saw the draft of the Blaster advisory and know that it too mentioned
installing a firewall. You want to install a firewall really, because IP
filtering using the IPSec or TCP/IP Filtering features in Windows is NOT a
firewall replacement.