Re: Shame on Microsoft

From: Karl Levinson [x y], mvp (levinson_k_at_despammed.com)
Date: 08/21/03

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:52:52 -0400

It is not entirely clear in the article, but the mention of the IP filtering
on the Blaster worm is meant to be TEMPORARY to allow you to download the
patch. It is not meant to be the first line of defence against the worm.

I saw the draft of the Blaster advisory and know that it too mentioned
installing a firewall. You want to install a firewall really, because IP
filtering using the IPSec or TCP/IP Filtering features in Windows is NOT a
firewall replacement.

> "BitsNotBytes" <bitsnotbytes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I wished MS would have said something about this alternative in their
> > security bulletin a month ago. I drilled down and found the port
> > enable/disable setting which is your first line of protection if you
> > don't use a firewall or couldn't install the patch.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > BitsNotBytes
> >
> > "Ed Crowley" <curspice@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > > "BitsNotBytes" <bitsnotbytes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Rubbish. Have you even looked at the advanced options for TCP/IP
under
> > > Windows?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Drivers
    ... You have not enabled the firewall while browsing the internet and not ... What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm ... Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, ... to install a program that won't even get started off. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • msblaster.exe...it keeps coming back
    ... Then immediately turn-on Windows XP's built-in Firewall: ... What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm and Its ... ***Install a good firewall. ...
  • Re: RRAS Firewall?
    ... ClosedBSD and TheWall boot entirely off of a single boot floppy, ... OpenBSD is fairly secure in the default install, ... If you choose a *nix firewall, ... > | connection technologies that usually bypass your firewall's filtering. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: SBS 2003 Anti Virus recommendation
    ... of 5 computers and a server. ... I did install the trial version of Trend wf 6.0. ... server down a lot (and as our ISP does spam and virus filtering before ... install a firewall between the clients and the Server which broke all ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: TCP/IP filtering
    ... The problem with IP filtering that isn't done using a firewall is that there ... I would install and use a free sniffer like www.ethereal.com to see what ... > TCP port tht permits only 80,53,4656.. ...