Re: Shame on Microsoft

From: BitsNotBytes (bitsnotbytes_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/21/03

Date: 21 Aug 2003 07:15:23 -0700

Nope. They specifically mentioned using the firewall on XP till the
patch was installed. The common correction on Nt,W2k,XP was disabling
the port till the patch was installed. The lack of product knowledge
was the fault of MS and anybody else in this NG till I mentioned the
apparent inability to block TCPIP ports and the subsequent posts yes
you can. AFAIK this is the first thread to suggest that approach
which should have come from MS. I'll guarantee the guy who wrote the
Blaster patch for MS didn't know how to block TCPIP ports.

BitsNotBytes

"S. Pidgorny [MVP]" <slavickp@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<uH8tlq7ZDHA.388@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> The option was there since forever (ok, new to Windows NT 4.0 - 1996). They
> cannot possibly list all workarounds - some product knowledge is required
> sometimes.
>
> --
> Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP, MCSE
> -= F1 is the key =-
>
> "BitsNotBytes" <bitsnotbytes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I wished MS would have said something about this alternative in their
> > security bulletin a month ago. I drilled down and found the port
> > enable/disable setting which is your first line of protection if you
> > don't use a firewall or couldn't install the patch.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > BitsNotBytes

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Event ID 6161 for HP 6840
    ... patch related to an exposure via the print spooler service. ... download which offers the option of a local port. ... >> There were no problems with the install and the printer works find so long ... >> 3) All machines on the network can connect to the printer via Internet ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: Thrown off of the intenet by XP
    ... Then turn on the xp firewall. ... >network connections, right click your connection, ... removal and patch info. ... >> Ever since I install Windows XP over Win98 on my HOME ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Shame on Microsoft
    ... I'm not even going to waste my time rereading the original advisory. ... All I remember is the port numbers and patch install. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • 832894 phish fix -- TCP broken
    ... terminal window and tried to connect to port 25 -- connection refused. ... 10/2003 so I tried fixing the current install. ... Patch 832894 shows no information for rolling the patch back. ... Made a ghost image of my current Win2K partition. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Help, my machine has been hacked
    ... >> being used to perform port scans on a bank. ... > It'd take longer than the install. ... The DSL provider said that one of their BSD servers was hacked so they ... Are any of the consumer firewall boxes any better ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)