Re: pop ups

From: Thomas O'Grady [MSFT] (togrady_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 07/22/03

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:01:54 -0700

There are two types of popups. One uses the 'messenger
    service' included with Windows 2000 and Windows XP. To
    rid yourself of these, install a firewall (see above).
    The second type of popup is triggered by web-pages you
    visit. These can be controlled by a popup stopper.
    You can get one free from http://www.panicware.com

from Frequently asked questions.

--
Thomas O'Grady,
Security Business Unit
"steve" <thebroadys@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hey,
>      i need some help to get rid or pop ups, the ads and
> stuff that comes through "messenger service", is there
> anyway to get rid of these coming up? if so please can
> someone tell me. thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: w32 RPC warning in win98
    ... I was assuming that the popup was a Messenger popup. ... Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Help! Deluged with Pop Ups
    ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger ... All posts unless otherwise specified are 2004 Jonathan Kay. ... > I have Earthlink's popup block and Google's popup blockers activated and still, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger)
  • Re: Web Popups
    ... If turning off messenger didn't stop it it isn't the NET SEND popups that ... > Trend-Micro PC-cillin will block this web site's windows. ... > The History URL is named "Windows Channels". ... I will await the arrival of the usual Ad popup. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: get rid of messenger
    ... Firstly, remove your saved Passport login in Windows XP, so it can't automatically sign you ... Alternatively, You can completely remove Windows Messenger but if you do, you will be ... > software I don't want but I can't get rid of it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger)
  • Re: newbie here, my name is Sara, im having some problems
    ... i was also thinking of getting rid of the windows ... > messenger, which i really dont need, i saved your whole message to my ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)