Re: Password

From: Super_Geek (RichardFalconer_at_thepostmaster.net)
Date: 07/10/03

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:48:42 +0100

Joe asks a question to do with PCs, Super_Geek dives in and tries to
help:
>I want to make my PC only available to certain users. [snip]. I was
told I >could limit the access he has by assigning a password. Is this
correct ? >also how do I go about doing this without risking any
problems.

>I only want him or anyone to have acees to the pc if they know my
>password. [snip] In other words i want to know when he is on and how
>long.

This is possible on a Win9x system. However this is only if you have a
good reason for not upgrading to XP, (eg, you use DOS based games.)

WIN 9X PASSWORDS
==================
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#password9x
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#harden

Or simply:
1) Create a screensaver with a password setting
2) Navigate to the appropriate .scr file in the C:\windows\ folder
3) Create a shortcut to it
4) Paste the shortcut into the StartUp folder.
This will force a screen saver to load up on startup, and the password
must be entered to use the system.
BE WARNED: This is VERY easily by-passed using to methods. I won't
describe them because I presume quite a few (or some at least) will have
taken this simple solution before. However, for a more advanced solution
you can call the screensaver from the registry, and then it can only be
by-passed using one of the two methods.

Note that once you son knows your password, you will obviously have to
change it.
As for logging his activities, this will require third party software.
Examples have been mentioned in previous posts in this thread.

HTH

--
Super_Geek, 16
"How do I set a laser printer to stun?"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Kids access
    ... Create a screensaver with a password setting ... Paste the shortcut into the StartUp folder. ... for a more advanced solution ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: passwords
    ... Create a screensaver with a password setting ... Paste the shortcut into the StartUp folder. ... for a more advanced solution ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • PASSWORD LOOPHOLE -No it isnt
    ... Create a screensaver with a password setting ... Paste the shortcut into the StartUp folder. ... for a more advanced solution ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: desktop
    ... I now think it may have been StopZilla after reading other posts. ... Get into Safe Mode of Windows to see if desktop is ... > If you got a screensaver off the web, ... > In Safe mode, also, run MSCONFIG and review the Startup Tab. ...
  • Re: Run Batch file before Windows XP loads
    ... but that actually gets run AFTER all the other crap starts. ... the startup folder get loaded last. ... > your screensaver, if that helps. ... >> used to make batch files and put calls into the autoexec.bat file to run ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)