Re: Kids access

From: Super_Geek (RichardFalconer_at_thepostmaster.net)
Date: 06/29/03

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:01:46 +0100

David Robbins asks a question to do with PCs, Super_Geek dives in and
tries to help:
> win95/98/me you can't really secure with their own
>passwords because you can always cancel and get in anyway.

If you do have wn95/98/me, then read up:

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#encryption
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#password9x
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#harden
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#grouppolicy

Or simply:
1) Create a screensaver with a password setting
2) Navigate to the appropriate .scr file in the C:\windows\ folder
3) Create a shortcut to it
4) Paste the shortcut into the StartUp folder.
This will force a screen saver to load up on startup, and the password
must be entered to use the system.
BE WARNED: This is VERY easily by-passed using to methods. I won't
describe them because I presume quite a few (or some at least) will have
taken this simple solution before. However, for a more advanced solution
you can call the screensaver from the registry, and then it can only be
by-passed using one of the two methods.

HTH

--
Super_Geek, 16
"How do I set a laser printer to stun?"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Password
    ... Create a screensaver with a password setting ... Paste the shortcut into the StartUp folder. ... for a more advanced solution ... Examples have been mentioned in previous posts in this thread. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: passwords
    ... Create a screensaver with a password setting ... Paste the shortcut into the StartUp folder. ... for a more advanced solution ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: personal use
    ... Group Policy Help ... Create a screensaver with a password setting ... Paste the shortcut into the StartUp folder. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • PASSWORD LOOPHOLE -No it isnt
    ... Create a screensaver with a password setting ... Paste the shortcut into the StartUp folder. ... for a more advanced solution ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Locking Desktop in Win XP Home Edition
    ... You can create a desktop shortcut with "%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, ... Set a password protected screensaver, and wait the allotted time without touching the mouse or keyboard. ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)