Re: 75% of my segment traffic is name resolution...

From: Eric Fitzgerald [MSFT] (ericf_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 06/28/03

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:34:48 -0700

This doesn't sound right, but is your PDC also a DNS or WINS server?

Eric

"Faustino Dina" <fdina@matusa.com.mx> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a W2k Active Directory serving my LAN. The LAN is connected to
> the outside world through a PIX firewall. On the outside I have
> another independent Active Directory PDC on W2k. The DNS of the inside
> PDC is configured to forward the traffic to the otutside DNS. Each DNS
> server run on the AD PDC server.
> I installed a sniffer (Network Probe 0.4) in the segment where is
> connected the inside interface of the firewall. I realized that 3/4 of
> the traffic (in bytes) that is accounted by the sniffer is by UDP port
> 53 (DNS) and UDP port 137 (NETBIOS Name service) between both PDC
> servers(!!!). Is it correct? The 75% of my network traffic is name
> resolution? What can be wrong here?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Faustino

Relevant Pages

  • Re: NT to 2003 domain upgrade - DNS related question
    ... running W2K3 on it as an upgrade, it will automatically assume the "PDC ... promo the new box to PDC, and THEN do the in-place upgrade. ... The problem is that you're going to lose your DNS server if you do plan B ...
  • RE: Changing Roles and DNS
    ... I would like to transfer the PDC role to one of the new domain ... In fact MS recommends to host as many FSMOs as possible on DCs with the ... Is it advisable to make the PDC the primary DNS server for the domain? ...
  • Re: duplication when setup.... ie: acme.acme.com
    ... > server 2 if you like and commented about siezing the ... > going to continue to call it PDC. ... > doing a DNS lookup from acme.acme.com? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • Re: Remote Branch DC wont Replicate With Corporate DC
    ... and a small branch site. ... > the users there can still access that server, ... > It seems to me that this is a DNS issue, so upon further review, I ... > Davinci is our win2k3 PDC ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Problems locating PDC on win2k3 server
    ... win2000 DNS server; ... I see SRV records for -_ldap under pdc; ... How to Configure OEx for Internet News ...