Re: stopping windows messangers pop-ups

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] (lanwench_at_heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com)
Date: 06/23/03

    Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:14:28 -0400

    Susan -

    You need a firewall. This is 'messenger spam', and is not in itself harmful,
    but is symptomatic of a larger problem - your compter is entirely exposed to
    the Internet. You can disable the Messenger service, but you'll still have
    the underlying problem that caused you to get spam. A free firewall for
    personal users: www.sygate.com - don't allow any traffic inbound unless you
    need it, which on a home PC you likely don't.

    See http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm for more info. Also see the following:

    --------- Good security housekeeping tips, in no particular order:

    * See http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm

    * Go to www.lavasoftusa.com and download AdAware...install, launch, update &
    run it. This will rid your computer of spyware/adware.

    * Use antivirus software (www.grisoft.com has a freebie) and update it
    regularly - at least once a week; daily if possible.

    * Use a good firewall to block access to your computer from the Internet
    (www.sygate.com is a decent freebie for a standalone workstation; hardware
    appliances are a better choice for networks).

    * Run Windows Update regularly (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) to get
    all the latest patches for your operating system.

    * See http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm for lots of information on
    browser hijacking and how to stop it

    * Do not use Imesh or Kazaa any other peer-to-peer file sharing software,
    ever.

    * Do not use Hotbar.

    Susan Miller wrote:
    > How can I stop all these pop-ups each time I am on-line I
    > get dozens of pop-ups Why? and How to stop them?
    > Susan

    • Re: Pop up ads
      ... You need a firewall. ... 'Messenger spam', is not in itself harmful, ... protection from the Internet. ...
    • Re: "Messenger" popups
      ... >You need a firewall. ... 'Messenger spam', is not in itself ... >protection from the Internet. ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Returned vulnerabilities, Messenger Spam, pls. HELP
      ... You should not enable XP's firewall if you are also running ... check for verification I achieved stealth status for all ports it can check. ... As a result for one or two days there was no Messenger Spam on my screen. ... But the messenger spam returned in a series and rechecked security did find ...
    • Re: Pop-ups
      ... 'Messenger spam', is not in itself harmful, ... protection from the Internet. ... see www.sygate.com for a free personal firewall. ... > on how to stop pop-ups. ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: non stop pop up
      ... Does the window title say anything about Messenger? ... a larger problem - your computer has ports open from the Internet. ... For a standalone machine, see www.sygate.com for a free personal firewall, ... If these are not messenger spam messages, but regular popups, go to ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)