Re: can't open hotmail!

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] (lanwench_at_heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com)
Date: 06/17/03

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:33:42 -0400

You've been hijacked....see the Darnit! reference below...

------
Good security housekeeping tips, in no particular order:

* See http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm

* Go to www.lavasoftusa.com and download AdAware...install, launch, update &
run it. This will rid your computer of spyware/adware.

* Use antivirus software (www.grisoft.com has a freebie) and update it
regularly - at least once a week; daily if possible.

* Use a good firewall to block access to your computer from the Internet
(www.sygate.com is a decent freebie for a standalone workstation; hardware
appliances are a better choice for networks).

* Run Windows Update regularly (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) to get
all the latest patches for your operating system.

* See http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm for lots of information on
browser hijacking and how to stop it

* Do not use Imesh or Kazaa any other peer-to-peer file sharing software,
ever.

* Do not use Hotbar.