Re: Pop Ups

From: Skywing (
Date: 06/17/03

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 01:35:34 GMT

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Right click the
"Messenger" service and go to it's properties. Then, change it to Disabled.
Additionally, you might want to hit Stop as well if it is already running.

Note that this doesn't interfere with instant messenger services like AIM or
ICQ or MSNIM; the Messenger service is used for (completely unrelated) NET
SEND messages, which are being increasingly abused for spamming purposes, as
you've had the misfortune to find out first-hand.

"Mary" <> wrote in message
> How can I get rid of pop ups? This just started happening
> a few months ago. These pop ups say they come from
> Messenger Service. It is always text in a gray box.
> It is very annoying and I haven't figured out how
> to get rid of these things.
> These pop ups started when I switched from MSN Dialup
> to SBCGlobal DSL. I'm not a techie. Can you help?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DestroyAds Popups
    ... I've had problems with the messenger pop ups, ... TrendMicro AV/Firewall, with the following ports blocked: ... adaware/lavasoft, google pop up blocker, and they still show up. ...
  • Pesky Pop Ups
    ... If you are using Windows 2000 or XP Professional, ... get rid of the pop ups for good by stopping the Messenger ... then select the messenger service and stop ... >>How do I stop those Pop Ups that greet me on my desktop, ...
  • Re: Nasty Pop Ups
    ... Are you referring to Messenger: ... > How do i get rid of all the pop ups. ...
  • Re: Pop Ups
    ... This is 'messenger spam', and is not in itself harmful, ... You can disable the Messenger service, ... > How can I get rid of pop ups? ... These pop ups say they come from ...
  • pop-ups in Windows xp.....How to disable????
    ... This one, for the grey box pop ups, is easy to fix. ... Scroll down to "Messenger" (This is not MSN or Windows ...