Unauthorized software install and IE customization

From: Brian Thomas (fullmoongravity_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 06/17/03

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:34:22 -0700

I am totally unaware of how this happened, but here it
goes. A program showed up in my Close Program Manager in
Windows 98 called win32_i.exe. Somehow it installed
itself and then created a new search bar on my IE5.5
toolbar. It also changed my homepage without my
knowledge. I found the program in my Add/Remove Programs
folder and I attempted to remove it. The IE browser
opened up and took me to
http://public.searchbarcash.com/homepage_manager.php?
origin=homepage&software_id=0001
Also I found a reference to caucho.com in the java script.
I also noticed a program in my Close Program Manager called
"installer_george_test" before this happened. I hope this
is not a legal practice to install software on somebody's
computer because it really irritates me when things like
this happen. I am a professional user and I don't click on
unknown things on the internet and randomly install things.
Please let me know if there is a way to stop this abuse.
Thank you