Unauthorized software install and IE customization

From: Brian Thomas (fullmoongravity_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 06/17/03

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:34:22 -0700

I am totally unaware of how this happened, but here it
goes. A program showed up in my Close Program Manager in
Windows 98 called win32_i.exe. Somehow it installed
itself and then created a new search bar on my IE5.5
toolbar. It also changed my homepage without my
knowledge. I found the program in my Add/Remove Programs
folder and I attempted to remove it. The IE browser
opened up and took me to
http://public.searchbarcash.com/homepage_manager.php?
origin=homepage&software_id=0001
Also I found a reference to caucho.com in the java script.
I also noticed a program in my Close Program Manager called
"installer_george_test" before this happened. I hope this
is not a legal practice to install software on somebody's
computer because it really irritates me when things like
this happen. I am a professional user and I don't click on
unknown things on the internet and randomly install things.
Please let me know if there is a way to stop this abuse.
Thank you

Relevant Pages

  • Re: setup of office 2003
    ... 2000 SP-3+ or Windows XP or Windows server 2003. ... || Have you installed all OS Service Packs? ...
    (microsoft.public.office.setup)
  • RE: Error Code: 0x57A on installing Office 2003 SP3
    ... If I reinstall will it maintain my current information? ... Program Manager, Office Service Packs ... "Kevin Seerup" wrote: ... I managed to install SP3 by downloading it direct then running the install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: Error Code: 0x57A on installing Office 2003 SP3
    ... Program Manager, Office Service Packs ... "Kevin Seerup" wrote: ... I managed to install SP3 by downloading it direct then running the install. ... Registry corruption may ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: Error Code: 0x57A on installing Office 2003 SP3
    ... Program Manager, Office Service Packs ... "Kevin Seerup" wrote: ... I managed to install SP3 by downloading it direct then running the install. ... Registry corruption may ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: kitty.avast.com scanning my ports and internal process trying to access their ip
    ... Hi, I work as a program manager for ALWIL Software, the makers of ... I have to controvert your accusation that our servers are spreading ... Unless you install any of our software, ... your machine and our servers - of course unless you manually initiate ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)