Re: anti-abuse privacy??

From: Val Brown (veejay_at_axion.net)
Date: 06/15/03

    Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 03:14:49 -0700

    What an excellent email. No you are right, I definitely would never open it
    but I sat and glared at it for a long time. It is really starting to tick
    me off. I am using IE 6. I have read your links and man oh man there is
    just too much for anyone to do a crash course on security and viruses and
    programs for viruses all in one bite. I like your suggestion of "plain
    text" as I am feeling very skittery about this whole thing lately. I seem
    to be inundated with viruses in the last few weeks. Who are these people
    doing it? What's their problem? Just a rhetoric question. I really didn't
    know most of what you mentioned in your email which goes to show that
    unfortunately I, and others like me, do have to kind of keep an eye on
    Microsoft alerts and whoever else gives out information on viruses. God, if
    I spend all that time looking at that stuff I won't have time for what I
    want to do.

    Anyway I do thank you for the info. Very informative.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/ms01-020.asp

    > I do not understand why Norton is trying to force you to download a
    cleaner.
    > Your version of OE is not affected by the 'auto-run' vulnerability,
    > therefore if you do not run the attachment (and why would you when you've
    > been told its a virus) you do not have a problem and do NOT need to run a
    > cleaner. To be absolutely certain, set OE to view all messages as 'plain
    > text' and there is no way for any script to execute when you view a
    message
    > in the preview pane.
    >
    > --
    > Hyperlinks are used to ensure answers remain current.
    > Sandi Hardmeier - Microsoft MVP since 1999
    > http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer
    >
    > "Val Brown" <veejay@axion.net> wrote in message
    > > I joined in on somebody elses question about viruses in the last few
    days
    > > but didn't get an answer to my last question. That is why I am posting
    it
    > > as an original question with hopes of getting an answer.
    > >
    > > In the last few days I have been getting a few viruses coming in my
    > > Outlook
    > > Express email. Norton is catching them but "bugbear" you had to
    > > quarantine
    > > and then download the tool to fix it. I did that but I am pretty
    > > concerned
    > > now about it. I lost my last computer to the Klez and they say bugbear
    is
    > > relative. I have a few months old Dell Dimension P4 with Windows XP
    and
    > > would like to keep it going for a couple of years.
    > >

    > > Yesterday I bought McAfee Spam Killer and in its control center it
    gives
    > > me a 10 for antihacker, 10 for antivirus and 10 for anti spam and a 1
    for
    > > antiabuse privacy as I don't have anything for that apparently. Does
    > > anyone
    > > have advice for me on that one. Should I definitely be protected
    there.

    > > Thanks.

    • ZoneEdit Account Hijack Vulnerability
      ... Topic: ZoneEdit Account Hijack Vulnerability ... transmission of viruses and will not accept ANY excuse for the ... digitally signed using our public PGP keys. ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • Re: Anti Virus: Improving the defense strategy through proactiveness...
      ... >>> Better software that's not vulnerable to viruses. ... >> 'leet Linux system should remember that hackers love Ramen Noodles. ... > there are huge differences in the degree of vulnerability between even ... someone claiming that there was such a thing as invulnerable software and I ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re: Anti Virus: Improving the defense strategy through proactiveness...
      ... >>> Better software that's not vulnerable to viruses. ... >> 'leet Linux system should remember that hackers love Ramen Noodles. ... > there are huge differences in the degree of vulnerability between even ... someone claiming that there was such a thing as invulnerable software and I ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Anti Virus: Improving the defense strategy through proactiveness...
      ... >>> Better software that's not vulnerable to viruses. ... >> 'leet Linux system should remember that hackers love Ramen Noodles. ... > there are huge differences in the degree of vulnerability between even ... someone claiming that there was such a thing as invulnerable software and I ...
      (comp.security.unix)
    • RE: MP 11 a virus magnet
      ... online in someone else's PC and download it to your PC. ... prevented an infection. ... caught when it first entered your PC, your anti-virus program is not doing ... what makes you think it was WMP11 that opened the door to those viruses? ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)