Re: anti-abuse privacy??

From: Sandi - Microsoft MVP (sandi_hardmeier_at_mvps.org)
Date: 06/15/03

Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:20:59 +0800

Hi Val,

Your situation is why I have a very strong DISLIKE of Norton and McAfee.

"BugBear" arrives an attachment, or can be embedded in an email message.
http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=35384

If you are using Internet Explorer 5.01SP2 or IE6 you are NOT affected by
the vulnerability which allows your machine to be infected just by
previewing the message. The vulnerability is described here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/ms01-020.asp

I do not understand why Norton is trying to force you to download a cleaner.
Your version of OE is not affected by the 'auto-run' vulnerability,
therefore if you do not run the attachment (and why would you when you've
been told its a virus) you do not have a problem and do NOT need to run a
cleaner. To be absolutely certain, set OE to view all messages as 'plain
text' and there is no way for any script to execute when you view a message
in the preview pane.

--
Hyperlinks are used to ensure answers remain current.
Sandi Hardmeier - Microsoft MVP since 1999
"Val Brown" <veejay@axion.net> wrote in message
> I joined in on somebody elses question about viruses in the last few days
> but didn't get an answer to my last question.  That is why I am posting it
> as an original question with hopes of getting an answer.
>
> In the last few days I have been getting a few viruses coming in my
> Outlook
> Express email.  Norton is catching them but "bugbear" you had to
> quarantine
> and then download the tool to fix it.  I did that but I am pretty
> concerned
> now about it.  I lost my last computer to the Klez and they say bugbear is
> relative.  I have a few months old Dell Dimension P4 with Windows XP  and
> would like to keep it going for a couple of years.
>

> Yesterday  I bought  McAfee Spam Killer and in its control center it gives
> me a 10 for antihacker, 10 for antivirus and 10 for anti spam and a 1 for
> antiabuse privacy as I don't have anything for that apparently. Does
> anyone
> have advice for me on that one.  Should I definitely be  protected there.
>
> Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Which Anti Virus Works Best With Vista
    ... and there are more possible causes for an uninstaller might not work well or totally remove all components and/or registry entries which is when a removal utility could be helpful. ... I hated McAfee 2005 because the virus updates failed more than they succeeded. ... For that reason, two companies that I was contracting too asked for alternative and I suggested NAV, Symantec Corporate Security and TrendMicro. ... I have no comment on Norton or other programs and utilities, but I don't see any relationship between a removal utility and a "defective" product. ...
  • Re: Which Anti Virus Works Best With Vista
    ... and there are more possible causes for an uninstaller might not work well or totally remove all components and/or registry entries which is when a removal utility could be helpful. ... I hated McAfee 2005 because the virus updates failed more than they succeeded. ... For that reason, two companies that I was contracting too asked for alternative and I suggested NAV, Symantec Corporate Security and TrendMicro. ... I have no comment on Norton or other programs and utilities, but I don't see any relationship between a removal utility and a "defective" product. ...
  • Re: choosing firewall and antivirus: Norton or McAfee ?Something else
    ... McAfee is notorious for screwing up Outlook Express and Norton puts too many hooks into the operating system and is a terrible resource hog. ... criteria for choosing a good firewall and a good antivirus program? ... stealthed the stealth option of little value? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Which Anti Virus Works Best With Vista
    ... and there are more possible causes for an uninstaller might not work well or totally remove all components and/or registry entries which is when a removal utility could be helpful. ... I hated McAfee 2005 because the virus updates failed more than they succeeded. ... For that reason, two companies that I was contracting too asked for alternative and I suggested NAV, Symantec Corporate Security and TrendMicro. ... I have no comment on Norton or other programs and utilities, but I don't see any relationship between a removal utility and a "defective" product. ...
  • Re: Which Anti Virus Works Best With Vista
    ... To support my assertions on the possibilities of McAfee not paying attention or catching something, please look over this information from ICSA ... This is an obvious exaggeration, since that would mean from 1989 to today, and until 2000, all of the successful tech that I knew had Norton on the top of their list as the best. ... If your coffee maker makes coffee but explodes if you use columbian beans while no other coffee maker does, it sucks as a product even if you personally never use columbian beans so you haven't blown it up yet. ...