Re: anti-abuse privacy??

From: Sandi - Microsoft MVP (sandi_hardmeier_at_mvps.org)
Date: 06/15/03

Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:20:59 +0800

Hi Val,

Your situation is why I have a very strong DISLIKE of Norton and McAfee.

"BugBear" arrives an attachment, or can be embedded in an email message.
http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=35384

If you are using Internet Explorer 5.01SP2 or IE6 you are NOT affected by
the vulnerability which allows your machine to be infected just by
previewing the message. The vulnerability is described here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/ms01-020.asp

I do not understand why Norton is trying to force you to download a cleaner.
Your version of OE is not affected by the 'auto-run' vulnerability,
therefore if you do not run the attachment (and why would you when you've
been told its a virus) you do not have a problem and do NOT need to run a
cleaner. To be absolutely certain, set OE to view all messages as 'plain
text' and there is no way for any script to execute when you view a message
in the preview pane.

--
Hyperlinks are used to ensure answers remain current.
Sandi Hardmeier - Microsoft MVP since 1999