Re: Impact of allowing contractors to access external e-mail (smtp)

From: DBD_Sandman (chris_at_canddcomputers.com)
Date: 06/13/03

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:08:48 -0500

It is best just to let these people use their ISP's SMTP server. You do not
want to open yourself up to be an open relay. This is a way to control spam.
If a hacker finds your SMTP port open then they could send what ever they
wanted. I work for an ISP and it is policy that if that person is not on our
ips then they don't get to send through our servers even if we provide email
and web services. The reason for this is so we can monitor who is spamming
from our network.
Sandman
Xspedius Tech Support

"Marlon Brown" <marlon_brownj@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In my company we provide e-mail account for certain contractors.
>
> Our firewall policies doesn't allow smtp for other devices othen than our
> Exchange servers.
>
> We have a group of contractors that in addition to the my company e-mail I
> provided would like to access their external company e-mail. Then my
manager
> wants me to open smtp ports for those guys.
>
> Can you please advise if most secure companies out there would let that
smtp
> ports to be opened for a group of users ?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: WNLB HT servers
    ... The main reason i need to wnlb two HT servers, is because we have some applications that need to a smtp relay to send emails to the internet and internally. ... This is why i decided to use nlb, with this i can create two receive connectors, one on each HT server the connectors would listen on the ip that has been NLB, and the default built in connectors are listening on a different seperate ip from the nlb ip. ...
  • Re: shared between two companies
    ... or which servers are referenced by them. ... serverB (using the SMTP Connector with the address space "ab.com". ... LDAP query? ... then the contact's targetAddress should be in A.com and the ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Exchange cant send email to one of the domains
    ... of adding a connector for specified SMTP namespace. ... servers I am asking about are not directly in my jurisdiction so I don't ... can I switch the Exchange ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.general)