Re: Impact of allowing contractors to access external e-mail (smtp)

From: DBD_Sandman (chris_at_canddcomputers.com)
Date: 06/13/03

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:08:48 -0500

It is best just to let these people use their ISP's SMTP server. You do not
want to open yourself up to be an open relay. This is a way to control spam.
If a hacker finds your SMTP port open then they could send what ever they
wanted. I work for an ISP and it is policy that if that person is not on our
ips then they don't get to send through our servers even if we provide email
and web services. The reason for this is so we can monitor who is spamming
from our network.
Sandman
Xspedius Tech Support