Re: Firewall and router

From: Keith W. McCammon (km_at_km.com)
Date: 06/11/03

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:17:14 -0400

> How would I do this? Setup a pc with linux? I do want to learn Linux and
> this might be a good way for me to go. I have another computer that I
could
> use but would that require a computer with two NIC's? I have had
problems,
> with Windows NT, trying to get a 2nd NIC to work.

Well, you do want to use caution and good judgment. Learning a new OS by
installing a production firewall is risky business--you don't know a lot
about securing the system, nor about fixing it. That said, if you have a
strong knowledge of internetworking, and you generally pick up quickly on
these types of things, then you may want to give it a shot.

And to answer your question, yes, you will need to NICs. The good news?
You will have no problem getting them to work if you go with *nix. New
versions of Windows are also much better than NT for these types of tasks,
but your *nix systems are very straightforward and very reliable--no
"hidden" routing logic.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Still cant connect to RWW or OWA remotely
    ... Advanced tab on both NICs. ... "Windows Firewall cannot run because another ... Windows WORKSTATION XP Pro - Domain Member ... Meridian.local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Multihomed Domain Controller Setup
    ... > I recently upgraded my domain from Windows 2000 Active Directory to ... > Should I not use the second NICs and connect all DCs to live subnets ... Uncheck "Register this connection" under IP properties, ... In the DNS console, right click the server name, choose properties, then ...
  • Re: Firewall issues on dual NIC server
    ... The firewall in Windows Vista and Server 2008 applies a single policy to the entire machine. ... two NICs, because they are both consider a LAN. ... I had it running really well on the LAN. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Cannot Set Folder Share Permissions - No Objects
    ... > Client for Ms Networks (provider: Windows Locator) is checked. ... > The secure channel from TECH to the domain NAITAUBA has been verified. ... > Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... have two NICs, and one of the NICs has two IPs and the IPs and subnets from ...