Re: "support@microsoft.com"

From: Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz SBS Rocks [MVP] (sbradcpa_at_pacbell.net)
Date: 06/08/03

Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 19:44:04 -0700

Microsoft never ever sends out emails with files attached.

Let me repeat that for the benefit of everyone

 MICROSOFT NEVER SENDS OUT EMAILS WITH FILES ATTACHED. ANY DOWNLOADABLE
FILES ARE ALWAYS DOWNLOADED FROM WEB SITES. THIS IS A VIRUS THAT
DEPENDS ON THE ACTION OF END USERS TO BE INSTALLED ON THE SYSTEM. YOU
NOW HAVE A VIRUS.

Sorry for yelling

If you receive an e-mail from support@microsoft.com that contains an
attachment do not open the attachment. Delete the e-mail immediately.
Microsoft never distributes software through e-mail.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/virus_alerts/palyh.asp

What were you doing operating a computer without an up to date
antivirus?

I really really apologize...and I'm sorry for picking on you....but we
end users HAVE to take responsbility for our computers.

A computer is like a car

Computer ..............................Car
Cannot use without-------------Cannot drive without
UP TO DATE Antivirus............Seatbelts
Firewall.....................................Gasoline in the tank
Security Patches.........................Oil

We take more time and energy keeping our cars safe and secure then we do
our computers. I don't know about you but I earn more money from my
computer than I do my car.

Shouldn't you give at least the same amount of attention to your
computer as to your car? Do you maintain your car? Shouldn't you look
out for your data on your computer?

Again, I'm sorry for the rant.

Susan Bradley

John wrote:

> The following is an Outlook message I received with a
> domain name of "microsoft.com". Thinking Microsoft could
> be trusted, I opened it before I noticed the date "sent"
> of December 31, 1998. It proceeded to upload files from my
> hard drive to some unknown destination. Anybody else have
> this happen to them? Anybody know why an email
> from "support@microsoft.com" wouldn't do anything other
> than steal files?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: I keep getting mass email from MS security with a virus attached
    ... to lock down broadband PC's when someone is sending emails ... got to go filter those emails now. ... >by a virus that downloaded a proxy server that allows ... >> Microsoft but the attachment is a virus. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Patch emails containing viruses
    ... > immediately" from Microsoft containing the Dumaruu virus! ... > the technician warned me that these emails have become ... How to report Virus-SPAM ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Possible Virus???
    ... Lots of us have received these Emails. ... The attachment is a virus. ... Microsoft sends security updates but NEVER with attachments. ... "Denise Killeen" wrote in message ...
  • Re: virus email/fraudently reprenting Microsoft
    ... Microsoft is well aware of these emails. ... They are sent by machines infected with the virus contained in the email ... > the IP address of the sender an the IP address says ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • RE: SMTP sending failure, connection is dropped by remote host
    ... If you use smarthost to send internet emails, could you use DNS to send ... I will be here waiting for your updates. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)