open ports?

From: john (no_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 06/07/03

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 00:53:05 -0700

i just checked my network activities by using netstat

but i am wondering how come i have five open ports
standing by listening? is there any way to close those
ports? is it normal to have open ports.....?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: paging the network/TCP-isti
    ... Checking for open ports using grc.com ... showed these TCP connections to be 'stealthed'. ... If you do "netstat -na" it will display addresses ... Listening anyway means that there is NO connection. ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Why is my machine listening to these ports?
    ... > to miminize services. ... Below are the open ports I do not understand why are ... It will tell you which task is listening on the port. ... Anders ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: listening on open ports
    ... exo wrote:My network utility tells me I have open ports but LabVIEW won't let me listen to them.What's going on? ... an open port is a port where a service is listening. ...
    (comp.lang.labview)
  • Re: Closing ports-- in services or inetd.conf?
    ... >I am trying to close open ports on our servers. ... convenience, though some daemons start listening only if they have ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • direct remote desktop connection
    ... Is it safe/best practice to direct rdc into a network through open ports as ... long as computers are listening to those ports for rdc or is vpn always ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)