Re: Been hacked...please help

From: Robin T Cox (robin2803_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 04/29/03

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:35:38 +0100

Gwyn wrote:
> I was in a yahoo user voice chat room, and then someone
> asked me if I had messenger. I said yes, and then all the
> sudden these things started popping up. For example "send
> file failed" and I couldn't click "ok" it wouldn't go
> away, and more things kept popping up out of no where. I
> asked what all that was, and he replied "it's a booter
> program and you're being hacked" then I hear him
> say "check it out, there's some credit card numbers" and
> also threated to delete my "back-up files." I am really
> worried. I don't know what he found out or anything. I
> know it wasn't a joke because my computer really was
> being taken over. I wrote down his screen name and the
> chat room name (not sure how much help that would be) but
> I want to find some way to report this guy. It's very
> frusterating. If someone will please email me, with
> something, any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Report him to Yahoo! Chat. See:
http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/chat/cgi_abuse

I expect you have been the victim of a nasty prank via Windows Messenger.
See:
http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

If so, you need to install a firewall before using the Internet. A good one
for the beginner is Zone Alarm, and you can get the free version here:
http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10039884.html?part=zonealarm&subj=dlpage&t
ag=button

Relevant Pages

  • Been hacked...please help
    ... I was in a yahoo user voice chat room, ... asked me if I had messenger. ... and more things kept popping up out of no where. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Been hacked...please help
    ... your time zone] to Yahoo abuse or yahoo chat support, ... > I was in a yahoo user voice chat room, ... and more things kept popping up out of no where. ... > I want to find some way to report this guy. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: cant get in to chat room
    ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger ... Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com ... > my mother inlaw cant get into a chat room i can get in on my computer but she cant get in ... > on hers.had the computer to a shop they got in to the chat room from there location on her ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger)
  • Re: Been hacked...please help
    ... "Gwyn" wrote in message ... > I was in a yahoo user voice chat room, ... and more things kept popping up out of no where. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Notice: AVLV Trolling (an open letter to Don)
    ... threaten to report them because they don't like me. ... Go start another website or chat room or newsgroup or something.. ... But don't come back to AVLV to "spam" your newest idea. ... Duane doesn't post often ...
    (alt.vacation.las-vegas)