Re: Instant messerger=Spam

From: Karl Levinson [x y], mvp (levinson_k_at_despammed.com)
Date: 04/25/03

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:30:42 -0400

"Keith W. McCammon" <km@km.com> wrote in message
news:Ow1lLPqCDHA.1604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > There does not seem to be any way to kill instant
> > messerger and i really do not wish to have my pienus
> > enlarged. is there any way to get this off my system?
>
> 1) It's not instant messenger, it the messenger service within Windows
>
> 2) Stop and disable the messenger service from the control panel.
>
> 3) You need a firewall. They're free. See Google.

Here are some free and not free firewalls you may use... also other things
you may want to do to increase security:

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#pop-ups
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#firewall
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#harden

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Hacked
    ... "Messenger Service" then these are spam--the sender has no knowledge of you, ... Gary Flynn ... Other free and not free firewalls are listed at: ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: secret hack on computer?
    ... Note that if all you do is disable the Messenger service, ... computer wide open to all sorts of hacking. ... PS www.sygate.com is one of several free firewalls out there, ...
  • Re: Messenger Service Spam
    ... does not close the gaping hole on your computer. ... There are free firewalls: ... >>I was under the impression that to block spammers from ... >>sending messages using the messenger service, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: on-line Messenger Service exploitation in Windows XP
    ... > that by Messenger Service I do NOT mean MSN/Windows ... > network users, typcially within an intranet. ... Gary Flynn ... Other free and not free firewalls are listed at: ...
    (microsoft.public.security)