Re: Best Practice

From: S. Pidgorny [MVP] (slavickp@yahoo.com)
Date: 04/13/03

From: "S. Pidgorny [MVP]" <slavickp@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 17:33:16 +1000

That's a reasonable way to prepare for back-out (assuming RAID1 or
RAID1+0)... However, you're losing disk fault-tolerance for some time -
thus, do that on server farms i.e. NLB Web farms, seek alternative solution
for database servers and alikes.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-
"Kahiel" <121nospams@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Well, Thanks for all replies. What about this scenario?
>

> Since most of our servers are mirrored RAID-. We will break the disk
mirror,
> run MSBA, apply all fixes "critical or non-critical" as identified by
MSBA,
> wait for 3 days of activities. If no problems reported, rebuild disk
> mirrors.
>

> The above can be repeated as monthly or every time a critical fix is
> released.
>

> "Kahiel" <121nospams@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > What is the best practice applying security fixes? I believe we should
> apply
> > any fixes identified by Baseline Analyser.  Others, suggesting to do
> > thorough checking  for application conflicts with each fix, which is not
> > practical solution since we support many servers with many different
> > applications?
> >
> > Any advise? Any experience of application conflicts when applying
patches?

> > Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to verify/fix High Disk Read Latencies in Exch2003 ?
    ... Exchange production servers are, the SAN is an EMC CX600. ... >>> current log file on disk and continues until data in the log buffers ... Comingling occurs whe two or more LUNs reside ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: 2003 Enteprise SP2 or 2003 Enteprise R2
    ... If you run setup from disk 2 of the R2 set it will install this: ... SP 2 on *all* Win 2k3 servers. ... SP 2 is an OS upgrade that should be ...
  • Re: LVM Documentation
    ... what were you trying to do with your disk? ... DiskSuite isn't really intended to do quite as much as HP-UX LVM. ... that mirroring the boot drives should be done in hardware, ... where there was not yet any functional network and the servers had no ...
    (comp.sys.hp.hpux)
  • Re: New to NAS, have idea, looking for software to do it.
    ... Some servers are virtual hosts - just ... of free disk space on the local disk drives. ... It seems like a waste to have all that free storage on workstations ... That means that you need significant redundancy in your raid setup, and are likely to spend a great deal of time doing re-builds. ...
    (comp.arch.storage)
  • Re: HBA connection
    ... In Windows Server 2003 Cluster server has a switch that when enabled, ... cluster-managed disk. ... > We bought new IBM Blade servers and putting in production> soon. ... I have a basic question about the clustering> servers, many places Microsoft recommended OS and Shared> Disk should be connected in different SCSI cards. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering)