Passing certificates between processes (and machines)

From: Paul Mateer (p.mateer@meridio.com)
Date: 04/04/03

From: p.mateer@meridio.com (Paul Mateer)
Date: 4 Apr 2003 06:01:23 -0800

I'm trying to put together a system that will allow a user running a
client to digitally sign a document on a server (which may be on their
PC or another PC entirely)

What would be the best way to pass the certificate from the client
application to the server (the client and server communicate using
RPC)?

Is it just a case of passing the dwCertEncodingType, pbCertEncoded,
and cbCertEncoded items to the server and then calling the
CertCreateCertificateContext() API function to create an new
certificate?
If so, will it matter that the server will be running under a
different NT account from the user running the client?

If you can't or shouldn't pass the certificate from the client to the
server in this manner, what would the recommended transfer mechanism
be?

Thanks for any help offered,

Paul Mateer
Meridio Limited
www.meridio.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] Apache 2.4.6 on OpenSuse 13.1: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long and ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERRO
    ... to the server's key and certificate, as well as to my rootCA ... The web server DOES start, ... virtual host that is supposed to be using SSL, ... # List the ciphers that the client is permitted to negotiate. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Need for encryption in WSE 3.0 if using SS-avoid man-in-middle
    ... SSL only validates you are talking to a SSL certified server; ... They can simply edit the URL the client program ... can be done by using a X.509 certificate on both ends, ...
  • Re: LDP client authentication fails
    ... I got the LDP working with LDAP server under server client authentication ... I did not installed the certificate in pfx format .. ... Client cert auth won't work without that. ...
  • Re: SSL & Man In the Middle Attack
    ... >> it possible for the middle man to intercept all messages from server to me ... > server sends client a signed message along with a digital certificate. ... > client generates a random secret key, ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: activesync issue
    ... On the SBS 2003 Server open the Server Management console. ... On the "Web Server Certificate" page, choose to create a new Web server ... Install the new certificate which created in above step on mobile device: ... Access to browse the Exchange Server 2003 client after you install ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)