Re: Still Unable To Logon (NT)

From: x y, mvp (levinson_k@despammed.com)
Date: 03/21/03

From: "x y, mvp" <levinson_k@despammed.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:15:13 -0500

... and what's the exact error message you're getting? I'm not really clear
on whether you're at the main Windows login to get into Windows, or trying
to go through a network to get from one computer to another, etc.

I see from your previous post that you're running NT. If NT is telling you
your password failed when trying to log in as an administrator, then you
need to reset your administrator password. If this fits what is happening
to you, then any one of the utilities or boot disks listed below from the
FAQ will help:

      [Free]
      http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd [NTPASSWD floppy]
      http://www.dmzs.com/tools/files [NTPASSWD boot
CD-ROM]
      http://www.nmrc.org/files/snt/index.html [bootdisk.bin]
      http://www.tech4uservices.com/download.htm [two different
floppies]
      http://www.nttoolbox.com/public/tools/LinNT.zip
      http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBD/tip1900/rh1984.htm [boot floppy]

      [Not Free]
      http://www.sysinternals.com [ERD Commander 2002
boot CD-ROM]
      http://www.sunbelt-software.com [NTAccess]

WARNING: use these tools at your own risk.

These tools work by modifying the SAM file on your computer. Manually
renaming the SAM files at C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM and
C:\WINNT\REPAIR\SAM should also reset the local Administrator password to
blank [and would also probably delete all other local accounts which you had
created on your computer].

This can be done by booting from a DOS or Windows 9x boot floppy [though if
your hard drive is formatted in NTFS format, you can't rename files this way
unless you purchase NTFSDOS Pro from www.winternals.com ]. You can also
rename the SAM files by moving the hard drive from the computer to another
Windows 2000/XP/NT computer, or by installing a second copy of Windows
2000/XP/NT to a different folder on the computer.

Problems with using the floppy disk methods above are supposedly rare, but
can happen. If you do try one of the floppy disk methods above and your
computer will no longer boot to Windows, try renaming the SAM files as
described above.

If all else fails, you can always reinstall Windows [though you could lose
some data or have to reinstall other software after doing this].

"Ken Wickes [MSFT]" <kenwic@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are you using XP or 9x?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Boot up problem... with a difference
    ... Safe mode boot is fine. ... Looked further into the last errors and noticed PXRD Driver. ... Event Type: Error ... Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in ...
  • Re: Slow booting xp home.
    ... What is a normal sort of boot time for an older machine? ... 30s to the windows screen? ... Installing and Registering Visual Studio Express Editions Smart Device ... Microsoft Robotics - Hardware Configuration and Troubleshooting Data ...
  • Re: Unmountable Boot Volume AND Session3 Initialization Failed
    ... I choose 'Start Windows Normally' and the Windows Logo Boot screen appears and simulate loading the OS as it always has before my system crashed. ... When I boot to that slipstreamed Windows XP Install CD, I do not receive any prompts from PGP nor do I have to login. ... So, effectively, you are in a catch 22 situation, you cannot remove encryption unless you boot with the hard disk yet you need to boot to the CD to run the Recovery Console but the RC cannot do anything on the encrypted disk. ...
  • Re: Still Unable To Logon (NT)
    ... either as an administrator nor as any other user. ... tried those password utilities but when trying to boot ... >on whether you're at the main Windows login to get into ... >rename the SAM files by moving the hard drive from the ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Cannot Boot Into any Option for Safe Mode
    ... NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the original XP CD maybe help? ... How To Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP ... An upgrade will probably not fix anything where a clean install might. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)