Re: What is the file...

From: Ned Flanders (nedfla@hotmail.com)
Date: 02/05/03

From: "Ned Flanders" <nedfla@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:05:25 -0600

tlg <tgabriel@bellsouth.com> uttered:
> What is the Windows NT file which if deleted or renamed,
> can grant access to the operating system with
> administrative priveleges?

The file is named SAM (no extension) Deleting/renaming it removes the
entire user database, including Administrator. NT creates a new one at next
bootup, and the Administrator password is blank.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows 2000 User Settings
    ... Administrators can perform any and all functions supported by the operating system. ... Any right that the administrator does not have by default, ... Install the operating system and components. ... to use a "personal" computer with any less than a Power User account. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Secure and Reliable?
    ... administered by people who can't spell computer, or an operating system that's ... securing his system should not have any more trouble securing his system than ... a similarly well-qualified administrator on most other platforms. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Files that Norton cannot delete or fix
    ... and malware scans while booted into Safe Mode. ... administrator may need to take ownership first of the files first. ... > files and reinstall my operating system which is XP. ...
  • Re: Windows Vista and Rootkits
    ... If I am administrator on the computer (it actually doesn't matter ... what operating system since none of the operating systems are immune to ... administrator access from shutting down this 3rd party tool (like e.g. ... The news I've read about the rootkit software on certain Sony ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: set priority
    ... administrator and it wont let me i have done it before but i jsut reinstaled my operating system and can find no refrence as to why i cannot. ... torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)