Re: limiting other users

From: x y (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 12/29/02

From: "x y" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 19:26:30 -0500

I agree. Remove all other users from the Administrators group. Other
programs run fine from a floppy without any system files being installed or
registry values changed, and there's not much I can think of for you to do
to prevent this sort of program, though you could remove the Start, Run
command, restrict access to Explorer, etc.

Some of these programs you might want to block using a firewall, if these
are internet programs. Some firewalls and proxy servers are free:

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#firewall

"msnews" <ef_hutton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What OS are you running? IF XP or 2000 give yourself admin and set
everyone
> else up as users. Some programs don't follow permissions anyway, Kaaza
and
> such let anyone load them.
>

> "Jwrmach" <Jwrmach@aol.com> wrote in message
> > I am the administrator and I want to know how to
> > completely block the opition for other users (limited
> > ones) to be able to add/remove programs. If I cannot
> > block this, there is no point in having security at all.
> > I am not networking, just home and business use. Thanx.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Korgo Virus
    ... >firewall and then brought it in. ... >Any suggestions on good laptop policy regarding security - I know that might ... Run MSBA to find all lagging machines. ... Keep users out of Administrators group. ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
  • Re: I just want to thank everyone here for all that was done
    ... problem that my Guest User kept being inserted in the Administrators Group ... Another person in a different post suggested I get a firewall. ... But I was worried that if I removed the firewall the Guest account would ... So far it has been about a week since I did all that and the Guest User has ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: 0X80070005 Error code
    ... Make sure the Administrators group has Full Control permissions to the Auto Update ... Use an account that has administrative credentials to log on to the Windows XP ... Navigate to the following key in the registry: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Update fails [Error number: 0x800A0046]
    ... that says I don't have privileges to use the wuauserv service. ... the Administrators group and can do anything else I want to on the machine. ... I'm sure there's a registry entry somewhere that disallows access. ... >> So where is the registry setting that prevents me from modifying the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Microsoft Update fails error 0x80070005