Re: blocking a sender in outlook 2000

From: Joe Schmoe (nomail@forme.com)
Date: 12/28/02

From: "Joe Schmoe" <nomail@forme.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 11:56:26 -0500

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 07:55:34 +0000, Karl Levinson [x y] mvp wrote:

> Well, I could certainly be wrong. However, everything I read on their
> web site indicates that all emails are downloaded to your inbox and then
> removed to a hidden deleted folder. For example, read this from their
> FAQ:

<snipped>

Karl,

I agree completely with you, I read the same thing on their web site....

It looks to me that this program "learns" what you consider junk by which
messages you flag as spam and then tries to guess which messages in the
future to automatically move to it's junk folder.

But you still have to download the message and review it before deleting
it in the event that it inadvertantly flagged a valid email as spam. The
web site claims the program gets bewtter at guessing the more you use it
and errors occur less frequently.

It also states that it shares your list of spammers with it's community of
users which means it is phoning home.

And the part that disturbed me the most is the fact that if an email comes
in that does not match any of your filters but it suspects is spam, it
will email the originator a "challenge" message that they must reply to
before it allows the message to clear it's filters and be moved from it's
"suspense" folder and into your inbox.

Now I don't know about you, but my mamma always told me to never never
ever answer unsolicited commercial email.

A lot of the junk is just spammers trolling for valid email addresses. If
you reply to the email, they know they have a "live one" and the spam
increases tenfold.

I would pass on this one....

Joe

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Spam mail
    ... My Spam is increasing too Jackie I got 42 this morning and I had ... Mail Monitor) to get shot of it (straight off the server) before ... You can Set it to Delete the junk from your InBox after it's ... How can I set rules to not download it from the server pmj? ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: Spam mail
    ... My Spam is increasing too Jackie I got 42 this morning and I had ... You can Set it to Delete the junk from your InBox after it's ... you can Set the Rules to not even Download it from the server & ... Filtering System" to you ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: I cant download sent messages from my service provider to Win Mail
    ... Messages on a Webmail account will only download to a POP3 account if they are from the Webmail's Inbox. ... You could go to the Web site and forward them to yourself and then drag them into Sent Items from the WinMail Inbox, but the headers will not be the same. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Linux here we come.
    ... you will have to create an account on MS website (email- ... it doesn't spam my inbox) to download it. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • FREE WEB MUSIC
    ... free music download web site ... web site for free music download ... free site web template music ... free web host for music downloading ...
    (comp.publish.cdrom.software)