Re: server alerts

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 12/20/02

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 06:10:22 -0500

That is a good point... shared login IDs like Administrator are not ideal,
because you have no accountability, no way to know who did what using that
account.

"Roger Abell [MVP]" <mvpNOSPAM@asu.edu> wrote in message
> Alerts are usually sent by name of the receiving account.
> I would assume that everyone is using the Administrator
> account. If this is so, configure Novell to send to a
> specific account other than Administrator, or better,
> get the workstation users logging in with an account
> other than Administrator.
>
> --
> Roger
>
> "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@excite.com> wrote in message
> > If Novell is broadcasting the alerts, you would probably want to check
> with
> > Novell and your Novell documentation.
> >
> > For example, in previous versions of the Netware NOS and client, there
was
> > command you could issue on a workstation, something like CASTOFF ALL
or
> > CASTOFF [enter your parameters here]. Since you're running Novell 3.2,
> > would imagine that command might still exist. If memory serves it might
> > actually reside on one of the shared folders on the Netware server but
is
> > actually executed per workstation. You could add a command such as this
> > the login script for each account or group that you wish to not receive
> > messages like this. There may be other ways to do this, such as options
> in
> > the client, I don't know. Note that this is a Netware command, not a
> > Microsoft command.
> >
> > Mentioning whether you're using Netware Client32 or the Microsoft Client
> for
> > Netware is probably worth while, since this may make a difference in the
> > answer you receive.
> >
> > I assume you've been doing some thinking about upgrading your version of
> > Netware? Hackers have been hacking Netware 3x and 4x for a while, even
> > though nowadays it's probably less common.
> >

> > "Keith" <keithprime@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > We have recently moved to windows 2000 pro at our desktops.
> > > All users pc's are setup with Administrator rights (we
> > > have no domains on or network)
> > >
> > > We use Novell 3.2 for our file and print sharing. Well we
> > > have server alerts being broadcast when there are space
> > > issues or resource issues on any of our volumes and all of
> > > the Win2k Pro boxes with users that have Administator
> > > rights are receiving these alerts.
> > >
> > > My question is, Is there a way to prevent a win2k pro
> > > administrator account from receiving server alerts? If so
> > > please advise on how to do so.
> > > Thanks for any assistance.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Local System Account
    ... I checked on Windows Server 2003 and Vista Beta 2. ... run following command from command line: ... one can specify it to run as localsystem account. ... administrator is not same as Local System. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Lost Administrators password
    ... > administrator password enter, reboot. ... This command changed the Password from ... > account which he forgot the password. ... > Admin account. ...
  • Re: Administrator access denied
    ... When you run the command net user username where username is the logon name ... for your user account it show the account is active. ... Home you can only logon to the built in administrator account in Safe Mode. ...
  • Re: Admin user account locked out - need help!
    ... the credentials for a local administrator account then that will not help ... administrator of the locked out computer. ... I tried the psexec approach but was unable to open the command ...
  • Re: Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... policy to rename the account although it is not really necessary or useful. ... Did I check Group Policies for references to the Administrator ... Failed to perform redirection of folder Desktop. ...