Re: server alerts

From: Roger Abell [MVP] (mvpNOSPAM@asu.edu)
Date: 12/20/02

From: "Roger Abell [MVP]" <mvpNOSPAM@asu.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 20:46:18 -0700

Alerts are usually sent by name of the receiving account.
I would assume that everyone is using the Administrator
account. If this is so, configure Novell to send to a
specific account other than Administrator, or better,
get the workstation users logging in with an account
other than Administrator.

--
Roger
"Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@excite.com> wrote in message
> If Novell is broadcasting the alerts, you would probably want to check
with
> Novell and your Novell documentation.
>
> For example, in previous versions of the Netware NOS and client, there was
> command you could issue on a workstation, something like CASTOFF ALL   or
> CASTOFF [enter your parameters here].  Since you're running Novell 3.2, I
> would imagine that command might still exist.  If memory serves it might
> actually reside on one of the shared folders on the Netware server but is
> actually executed per workstation.  You could add a command such as this
> the login script for each account or group that you wish to not receive
> messages like this.  There may be other ways to do this, such as options
in
> the client, I don't know.  Note that this is a Netware command, not a
> Microsoft command.
>
> Mentioning whether you're using Netware Client32 or the Microsoft Client
for
> Netware is probably worth while, since this may make a difference in the
> answer you receive.
>
> I assume you've been doing some thinking about upgrading your version of
> Netware?  Hackers have been hacking Netware 3x and 4x for a while, even
> though nowadays it's probably less common.
>

> "Keith" <keithprime@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > We have recently moved to windows 2000 pro at our desktops.
> > All users pc's are setup with Administrator rights (we
> > have no domains on or network)
> >
> > We use Novell 3.2 for our file and print sharing.  Well we
> > have server alerts being broadcast when there are space
> > issues or resource issues on any of our volumes and all of
> > the Win2k Pro boxes with users that have Administator
> > rights are receiving these alerts.
> >
> > My question is, Is there a way to prevent a win2k pro
> > administrator account from receiving server alerts?  If so
> > please advise on how to do so.
> > Thanks for any assistance.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: server alerts
    ... standard rename and create of a disabled powerless account ... by name of Administrator would be advised (even though ... If Novell is sending to the workgroup name then there ... >>> command you could issue on a workstation, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: server alerts
    ... AFAIK, Novell sends these ... to log into a Netware 3.x / 4.x server received these broadcasts, ... > standard rename and create of a disabled powerless account ... > by name of Administrator would be advised (even though ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Master log on no longer appears on XP Pro and only logs on to sub account
    ... > We run Novell on this system and I created a sub account ... > using the Novell username for the sub account. ... > username from ADMINISTRATOR to the username of our Novell ...
  • Re: Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... policy to rename the account although it is not really necessary or useful. ... Did I check Group Policies for references to the Administrator ... Failed to perform redirection of folder Desktop. ...
  • Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... one referencing the original administrator account: ... specific policy setting that was flagged with a big, ... I used an incorrect procedure to rename the ...