Cached login credentials and password expiration

From: Pat Allen (nouser@mbari.org)
Date: 12/17/02

From: "Pat Allen" <nouser@mbari.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 05:29:18 -0800

I am in an oceanographic research environment. We have a
number of Windows NT 4.0 domains corresponding to our
shore environment and our various research ships. Our
ships can be away from shore for periods of months at a
time. (There is no BDC for the shore domain on any of the
ships due to replication issues.) During this period,
scientists from the shore use their notebook computers
with their cached login information from the shore domain.

Up to this time, we have not used password expiration but
we are now investigating it. My concern is that the
password expiration information might be included in the
cached information and that a scientist on an extended
cruise might, all of a sudden, find him or herself with an
expired password and no way of changing it.

Can you verify for me whether or not the password
expiration information is stored in the cached information.

Thank you,
Pat Allen
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI)
pat@mbari.org

Relevant Pages

  • Cached login credentials and password expiration
    ... I am in an oceanographic research environment. ... shore environment and our various research ships. ... password expiration information might be included in the ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Nazi Superweapons in SF
    ... BB's routinely carried out shore bombardments ... US BBs were still at risk coming in close to hostile shores, ... batteries, minefields, small submarines, land-based air attacks etc. ... And guess which ships mounted those guns and escorted the carriers? ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: Eastwoods Letters from Iwo Jima
    ... closest to shore. ... Just off the top of my pointy head 10 miles is way out, ... smaller ship actions. ... Pacific actions the big gun ships were in pretty close - to get good ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • Re: Dickens: and presently they had all swung round
    ... swing, and presently they had all swung round, and the ships that were ... upon us in a fleet, and we kept under the shore, as much out of the ... need to consider this when placing the anchor. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Dickens: and presently they had all swung round
    ... meant to keep close to the shore? ... And soon the tide began to slacken, and the craft lying at anchor to ... swing, and presently they had all swung round, and the ships that were ...
    (alt.usage.english)