Re: pop ups and advertisements

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (jamescagney90210@excite.com)
Date: 12/14/02

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <jamescagney90210@excite.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 07:58:42 -0500

More information and free and not-free products are found below [I would
really recommend also using a firewall like www.sygate.com which is free as
well, to block Messenger popups and other stuff].

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#pop-ups

"Mike" <nothanks@hatespam.com> wrote in message
> The answer for most pop-ups is to install a program such
> as "Pop-up Stopper" or "Pop-up Blocker", etc. Some of
> them are free downloads (like "Pop-up Stopper", I think).
>
> Now, the other kind of pop-ups, which I was
> just "introduced" to the other day, is when a spammer
> exploits the Messenger Service (a tool for network
> managers to send shut-down notices, etc.) If it is
> Messenger Service, the pop-up will look just like a
> regular Windows window, and it will say "Messenger
> Service" in the title bar. If that's the case, look for
> an earlier post here that covers the subject well.
>
> -MIKE-

---

  • pop ups and advertisements
    ... The answer for most pop-ups is to install a program such ... them are free downloads (like "Pop-up Stopper", ... exploits the Messenger Service (a tool for network ... regular Windows window, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Windows XP home sp2 wireless network
    ... Also I have recently been having a big problem with pop-ups. ... Messenger Service pop-up can't contain a clickable link. ... unintentionally serves as a valid security alert. ... haven't been taking sufficient precautions while connected to the Internet. ...
  • Re: Drivecleaner
    ... It sounds like a common scam, but your description is a little vague about the precise circumstances under which the pop-ups appear. ... They're trying to sell you patches that Microsoft provides free-of-charge, or a useless "product" that will install adware/spyware, and using a very intrusive means of advertising. ... It demonstrates that the computer user hasn't been taking sufficient precautions while connected to the Internet. ... Messenger Service of Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Drivecleaner
    ... vague about the precise circumstances under which the pop-ups appear. ... that the computer user hasn't been taking sufficient precautions while ... Install and use a decent, ... Messenger Service of Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: spyware help!
    ... It sounds like a common scam, but your description is a little vague about the precise circumstances under which the pop-ups appear. ... It demonstrates that the computer user hasn't been taking sufficient precautions while connected to the Internet. ... Messenger Service of Windows ...