Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-069

From: Michel Gallant (MVP) (neutron@istar.ca)
Date: 12/12/02

Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:33:54 -0500
From: "Michel Gallant (MVP)" <neutron@istar.ca>

It would be convenient if the information (about the dnld for w9x, me, NT,
XP being all the same) were also conveniently dnld'd with the install, or
at least, the name of the install reflected that. Just simplifies the confusion
that might arise for unwitting or forgetful administrators :-)
Cheers,
 - Mitch

"Jerry Bryant [MSFT]" wrote:

> You Can get the patch from the Windows Upate Catalog. This information is in
> the Frequently Asked Questions section of the bulletin. FYI: W9x, ME, NT and
> XP patches are all the same (so downloading for one of those OS's to install
> on NT is ok). Win2k SP2 or later has a different patch.
> I'm a network administrator. I see that the patch is available on Windows
> Update, but I'd like to download it and install it on my users' systems. Can
> I do this?
>
> Yes. You may update existing Microsoft VMs by following these steps:
>
> 1.. Go to the Windows Update web site.
> 2.. In the left pane, under Other Options, select "Personalize Windows
> Update".
> 3.. Under "Set Options for Windows Update", select the checkbox for
> "Display the Link to Windows Update Catalog under 'See Also'", then click
> "Save Settings".
> 5.. In the left pane, under "See Also", select "Windows Update Catalog".
> 6.. Select "Find Updates for Microsoft Operating Systems".
> 7.. Select the operating system and language of your choice.
> 8.. Select "Critical Updates and Service Packs".
> 9.. Select all of the patches you'd like to download, then click on "Go to
> download basket" to download them.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
> Microsoft IT Communities

> "mike singer" <nospam_zookeeper@wwwhr.com> wrote in message
> > Jerry. This patch is only available via windows update. THat is cool for
> > Windows 2000 and XP but when I try to download it for NT, NT does not even
> > show up as an option under operating system in the catalogue. We need a
> > network install for NT since our data center machines are not permitted to
> > surf out for obvious security reason. Any suggestions.
> >

> > "Jerry Bryant [MSFT]" <jbryant@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Title: Flaw in Microsoft VM Could Enable System Compromise 810030
> > > Date: December 11, 2002
> > > Software: Versions of the Microsoft virtual machine (Microsoft VM) are
> > > identified by build numbers, which can be determined using the JVIEW
> tool
> > as
> > > discussed in the FAQ. All builds of the Microsoft VM up to and including
> > > build 5.0.3805 are affected by these vulnerabilities.
> > > Impact: Eight vulnerabilities, the most serious of which would enable an
> > > attacker to gain control over another user's system.
> > > Maximum Severity Rating: Critical
> > > Bulletin: MS02-069
> > >
> > > The Microsoft Security Response Center has released Microsoft Security
> > > Bulletin MS02-069
> > >
> > > What Is It?
> > > The Microsoft Security Response Center has released Microsoft Security
> > > Bulletin MS02-069 which concerns a vulnerability in Microsoft virtual
> > > machine. Customers are advised to review the information in the
> bulletin
> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: spyware not working
    ... You cannot really "download from a disc" - you could install. ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... More full function applications for CD/DVD burning would be: ...
  • Re: Trojan / Adware infection on Windows XP Pro computer
    ... > can install on the infectedcomputer so that I don't have to contect to ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... - Roll back the clock with System Restore ... and some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best ...
  • Re: Error 0x80070020 Windows Update
    ... Note that you only need to uninstall the interferer to do the update's install phase. ... stems from an automatic download of Microsoft Compression ... Client 1.0 for Windows XP or Microsoft Silverlight, ... When I went to the Windows Update site, I was first told "Update Windows to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: As I use Internet Explorer I get this pop up-
    ... Download and install the Flash Player and Shockwave Players from the sites I ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... keep it clean,secure and running at its top performance mark. ...
  • RE: Error 0x80070020 Windows Update
    ... stems from an automatic download of Microsoft Compression ... Client 1.0 for Windows XP or Microsoft Silverlight, ... manually download and install new updates. ... When I went to the Windows Update site, I was first told "Update Windows to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)