Re: Two firewalls better than one ?

From: Robert Burris (fossil24@spamcop.net)
Date: 12/12/02

From: "Robert Burris" <fossil24@spamcop.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 07:40:48 -0600

In my opinion, running two application-level filters (personal firewall) is
dumb. Personal firewalls are generally resource-hungry, and often seem to
make the system prone to crashing. I use Kerio at home with IPSec (Windows
2000). That gives me two layers of protection. I've recently added a
Netgear DSL/Cable Router with NAT, which gives me another layer of
protection. I did not add the router for extra security, but I have a need
to share an Internet connection with a Cobalt Qube. The NAT is just gravy.

Personal firewalls are designed to be used by clueless people, that is those
people who have enough of a clue to install one. But that ease of use adds
complexity, and that complexity means that they can be more easily broken
and harder to fix. If you are running server applications on your
workstation, like IIS, make sure you are patched. Make sure that you are
running those server applications in their secure configuration, relative to
your needs. Unless you have a compelling reason not to do so, you should be
running anti-virus software too.

"steve" <svaardt@h0tmail. com> wrote in message

> Is there anything to be gained (or lost) from running more than one
firewall
> upon your Windows Machine ?
>
> For example Zonealarm, and BlackIce or Windows XP's firewall plus another
> Firewall such as Nortons Personal firewall ?
>

> Steve

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Best Firewall?? - follow-up
    ... which installed apps on my Com-Put-Or can access outside resources, ... but making other applications to send. ... while the "Personal Firewall" programmers have to spend ... hundreds of tricks to gain administrator rights on a Windows box. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Safety of local-loopback access rule
    ... the Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 catches it. ... I launched a few Xwindows applications to characterize the accesses: ... Local Remote ... I created a single rule for any application and any port to ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: norton internet security blocks internet acces
    ... > after installing norton internet security 2003 it's impossible to go ... > The setting of my personal firewall are OK. ... Are you sure that all applications have the proper rules created? ... get it to alert you. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Active-x validation error
    ... > Norton Internet Security, Norton Personal Firewall, Sygate Personal ... > e or shut down any of these before accessing the Windows Update site. ... > access the Windows Update site with these applications disabled, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Sygate Free PFW
    ... switch to the windows XP SP2 firewall? ... How do you solve the mentioned security design flaws of Sygate? ... Don't install applications you cannot trust in. ... I'm testing "how good is the 'Personal Firewall', ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)