Re: External tech support connecting through RRAS, not VPN

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 12/10/02

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:36:52 -0500

"Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:OlWHBbIoCHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP12...
> I have some external tech support people that persist in using WIn2K RRAS
> connect to our company and configuring application serves, instead of
using
> our very friendly Cisco VPN. It is more like a convenience to them, as
they
> don't want to have a little bit of additional work to accomodate VPN
> settings accordingly on their end.
>
> How bad is that for security have such RRAS solution available and yes,
not
> centralized at all, as currently I have three servers with RRAS setup ?

It depends on your security needs. Good security dictates that services
that are not necessary be disabled and/or consolidated, no matter how much
of a risk they pose now or in the future.

Relevant Pages

  • MS03-029 / Q823803 and RRAS Problems [im]
    ... Microsoft is aware of a problem with the recently released security ... patch corrects a Moderate rated Denial of Service security vulnerability ... causes the RRAS Service to fail when the system is rebooted after ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)
  • MS03-029 / Q823803 and RRAS Problems [im]
    ... Microsoft is aware of a problem with the recently released security ... patch corrects a Moderate rated Denial of Service security vulnerability ... causes the RRAS Service to fail when the system is rebooted after ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • External tech support connecting through RRAS, not VPN
    ... I have some external tech support people that persist in using WIn2K RRAS to ... connect to our company and configuring application serves, ... our very friendly Cisco VPN. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)