Outlook Express

From: Fort (vyfortknocks@hushmail.com)
Date: 12/06/02

From: vyfortknocks@hushmail.com (Fort)
Date: 6 Dec 2002 08:45:47 -0800

Tom Byrd wrote:
> What danger is there running Outlook with the preview
> pane on? I been told there is a problem because of the
> way Outlook reads and executes HTML code.

There are those that say Outlook itself is a danger, preview pane or
no
preview pane.
;-)
What I think you're referring to is the nasty email bugs that can
execute as
soon as the message is viewed, and the preview pane views a message as
soon
as the message is highlighted. If you have a fully patched system
then this
is marginally less of a concern, but IMO one should never read mail or
news
with OE unless you're running AntiVirus (with the most recent virus
definitions!) and a software firewall.

Terrific Response!
What about addressing the issue of people on a Windows Platform not
running any services and dis-abling them before the computer goes
on-line? If you install anti-virus or firewall after leaving Windows
file and print sharing open, this will not stop the Hosts, Servers and
Virtual Private Networks from running on the victims computer.
Dis-able these services won't remove the above, nor will it remove the
Backdoor(s) and Trojan Horse(s).
If you know of another way, speak up.

Tracker

Relevant Pages

  • Re: russian e mails?
    ... which in turn opens the e mail in the preview pane ... >> I am now running in plain text mode due to your advice ... >> however i am still a bit concerned about the way outlook express views ... >> would you reccomend another mail program? ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Evault custom form & preview pane code
    ... Set that bit on a regular message – no preview pane. ... Remove that bit from a message that has a one-off form and a script – Outlook ... Eric Legault (Outlook MVP, MCDBA, MCTS: ... Basically Enterprise vault works by trawling your mailbox, ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba)
  • Re: Is this thing on?
    ... Outlook Express works fine for me. ... Left pane: columns for Subject, ... It's good to have a backup for Google - even though newsreaders suck. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • outlook gremlins - anybody else?
    ... I am unable to replicate ... After a few minutes, Outlook will start to ... the preview pane. ... but many of my users report the same trouble. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Message has frozen Outlook Express and OS 9.1
    ... untick the Preview Pane option as soon as the application launches. ... a chance that you'll have to lose the contents of your Inbox in order to ... saving anything from the inbox of even the entire Outlook Express ...
    (microsoft.public.internet.outlookexpress.mac)