Re: Personal firewall on laptop for dial-up users

From: Bill Sanderson (Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org)
Date: 12/05/02

From: "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 17:23:50 -0500

It was the firewall. QAZ replicated across unprotected shares. I had a
two-machine home lan which connected via an ISDN or 'DSL connection at one
of the machines.

I bought an inexpensive AMR modem since I had an AMR slot in the second
machine, and wanted to have this as a backup. I disconnected from the
gateway machine (which was providing firewall protection!) and dialled up
via the new modem, without thinking about the share.

Bingo, notepad.exe was infected. I got immediate notice about it from my
antivirus--however, the antivirus hadn't prevented the infection in the
first place--I'm not sure how to assess blame for that.

A firewall would have prevented this infection, as would have either not
sharing the system drive at its route (WinMe) or having a password on the
share.