Re: Personal firewall on laptop for dial-up users

From: Bill Sanderson (Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org)
Date: 12/05/02

From: "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 17:23:50 -0500

It was the firewall. QAZ replicated across unprotected shares. I had a
two-machine home lan which connected via an ISDN or 'DSL connection at one
of the machines.

I bought an inexpensive AMR modem since I had an AMR slot in the second
machine, and wanted to have this as a backup. I disconnected from the
gateway machine (which was providing firewall protection!) and dialled up
via the new modem, without thinking about the share.

Bingo, notepad.exe was infected. I got immediate notice about it from my
antivirus--however, the antivirus hadn't prevented the infection in the
first place--I'm not sure how to assess blame for that.

A firewall would have prevented this infection, as would have either not
sharing the system drive at its route (WinMe) or having a password on the
share.

"Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am just curious:
>
> In that case you think you got infected for lack of updated anti-virus or
> because you had no firewall ?
>

> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> > I was infected with (I spotted a screen-print I did at the time, the
> > other
> > day) the QAZ virus in a (by recollection) rather short analog modem
> > connection a couple of years ago--the risk is definitely there.
> >
> > "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I am aware of all the needs to have a firewall installed on DSL &
> > > Cable
> > > Modem users at home.
> > >
> > > How Ok would be leave Dial-Up users without firewall in their machines
> > > ?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Hardening an ISA Server
    ... He sets up his reverse connection server to listen on port ... the spread of the infection is at least mitigated. ... and then cracks the local administrator password. ... access to internal resources as a normal configuration, through a firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)
  • Re: New modem and iptables...
    ... The router performs firewall and NAT functions ... If you want to persuade me it's a modem, ... it's a router and _it_ has your public Internet address. ... It also does NAT (otherwise you couldn't have a private IP address on ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: Lost Internet Connectivity
    ... The modem is obviously working correctly - or I wouldn't be able to connect ... ethernet connection, along with the ipconfig, ping, etc returning null ... Firewall, McAfee Personal Firewall, VS, two-PC network, Motorola modem, ... connection, etc. Swapped cables, end-to-end, replace cable. ...
  • Re: Sickening.............
    ... >> If you have not used a firewall and some form of antivirus from the ... > is absolutely neccessary after viral infection. ... that connection. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Finding installed package files
    ... I can't speak for the icon set, ... If there is a firewall involved, ... There's nothing wrong about using dial on demand, ... My firewall and modem are hidden away out of sight, ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)