Re: Internet cookies

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (
Date: 12/05/02

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:19:35 -0500

"dion" <> wrote in message
> Dear Microsoft:
> I was wondering whether or not it is true if the same
> cookies that are saved on the C: can be saved in the
> mainframe of a computer to which there is a network? If
> so does the company get rid of these cookies automatically
> or do they save them somehow or what happens to them?

Cookies for the most part just save information that you already voluntarily
entered into that web site. Since you entered this information in a web
site, that company or web site can certainly save the data in a database or
anywhere they wish for as long as they want, it varies depending on the web
site. Cookies are in my opinion not the first thing you should worry about,
as far as security.

Other things that you might find helpful: [free software that stops adware
can help protect your privacy in other ways] [how to make your computer more
secure against hacking and loss of privacy] [ is free] [ is free]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How do we get there from here?
    ... I can't tell you how often I try to do something on a web site and finally ... figure out I have cookies turned off...then have to open up my browser to ... Will it contain tokens that will be replaced by ... >>> both tokenized, so the content in them is session driven by cookies, ...
  • [NEWS] Datalex BookIt! Consumer Password Vulnerabilities
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: ... Datalex PLC's BookIt! ... Storing authentication credentials in cookies is never a good idea as ...
  • Re: How do we get there from here?
    ... > figure out I have cookies turned off...then have to open up my browser to ... If 10% of the potential shoppers can't view the web site at all, ... CSS is currently tested only under IE6 and the latest FF: ...
  • RE: IE6 Privacy and Secure Web Site
    ... all cookies from a specific web site or domain, ... to authorize cookies from that secure web site, ... > prompted for logon and password. ...
  • Re: Your browsers cookie functionality is turned off. Please turn it on.
    ... I change the privacy setting to Accept All Cookies; ... to gmail web site. ... The weird thing is that it happens only for gmail ... > Error Message: Not Accepting Cookies ...