Re: Norton Blocking websites?

From: Ned Flanders (nedfla@hotmail.com)
Date: 12/03/02

From: "Ned Flanders" <nedfla@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:11:07 -0600

Earth Angel wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I have a friend who uses 'Norton' personal firewall - and he is
> convinced it is stopping certain websites from loading
> (www.freeserve.com) being one of them (weird behaviour for a firewall
> in my experience)...
>
> I've never used Norton but I've seen several people on thie group
> mention it before so I was wondering what settings might need
> changing in Norton to prevent this sort of site blocking?
>
> TIA
>
> EA.

Have him temporarily disable the firewall, then try to visit the desired
site.
If it works, then NPF was indeed the problem.
Perhaps he's set up a rule to stop traffic to/from that site(?)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Blue Screen - Help PLEASE
    ... AV and free Firewall, what happens if the same Blue Screen shows again? ... If we go online with the NIS still installed and try to download the free AV ... ALL versions of Norton will produce a blue screen given time.. ... The notebook turned off and then back on. ...
  • Re: Setup Error when connecting Xbox 360 to MCE2005 PC
    ... many problems were solved over the years by uninstalling Norton ... and using a different antivirus and firewall. ... firewall for all traffic on all ports between the IP addresses 192.168.0.2 ... Attempt to add your Xbox 360 again via the Media Center Extender ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: OT: Hard Drive Backup Tools?
    ... I'm using Norton's System tools on 3 networked systems, and I've never encountered anything that could be construed as 'system bogging'. ... perhaps Norton is getting blamed for something else happening that's being well disguised. ... I NEVER install ANY OTHER firewall. ... Don't install that, and everything works just fine,,, other then using up more resources. ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.lightwave)
  • Re: FYI: Security Problems Plague XP SP2 via Symantec/McAfee
    ... Because eTrust & your Firewall are complimentary programs, ... the same company what happened isn't a violation of Firewall rules. ... >> Norton System Security, Norton Utilities, etc. are another thing ... >> Symantec has definitely lost their reputation in the past 5 years or so. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: When to install Kaspersky anti virus?
    ... You do NOT want more than one firewall enabled. ... Your anti-virus application should be configured to seek and install updates automatically, daily, at a time when the machine is usually running and connected to the internet. ... Norton software via Add/Remove Programs. ... Videos became choppy again. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)