Re: Re-selling product

From: Alun Jones (alun@texis.com)
Date: 12/02/02

From: alun@texis.com (Alun Jones)
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 19:02:50 GMT

In article <OAL3eVhmCHA.2300@tkmsftngp07>, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.yahoo.com> wrote:
>Okay; I've never ever ever seen anything like that. At the moment, the
>product belongs to the purchaser and I can't see any reason he/she can't do
>what he/she likes with it.

With software, the product doesn't belong to the purchaser. A licence to use
the product belongs to the purchaser. Remember, the 'product' in this case is
the set of ones and zeroes that makes up Windows - if the purchaser "owned"
the product, they would be legally allowed to do anything with that product,
for instance by hacking an XP Home into an XP Pro (remember those tools to
turn NT WS into NT Server by just changing registry entries?).

This is why licences come up, to limit the use of software.

Alun.
~~~~

Texas Imperial Software   | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find us at
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | http://www.wftpd.com or email alun@texis.com
Cedar Park TX 78613-1419  | VISA/MC accepted.  NT-based sites, be sure to
Fax/Voice +1(512)258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for XP/2000/NT.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Re-selling product
    ... >>product belongs to the purchaser and I can't see any reason he/she can't ... the product doesn't belong to the purchaser. ... A licence to ... > Texas Imperial Software | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Re-selling product
    ... Okay; I've never ever ever seen anything like that. ... product belongs to the purchaser and I can't see any reason he/she can't do ...
    (microsoft.public.security)