Re: Administrator not recognized

From: Glenn Phillips (glennp@null.net.nz)
Date: 12/01/02

From: "Glenn Phillips" <glennp@null.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 11:22:34 +1300

> I am trying to install the SIMS a computer game. When I
> try to run the program, it tells me I must login as an
> administrator. However, I am the administrator of my
> computer. It only has one account. Even when I do the run
> as as the administrator account, it gives me the same
> message. I have run into this problem before, but someone
> working for microsoft helped me out because it was giving
> me problems with accessing windows update (thus I did not
> have to pay). Is there a way to fix this mix up from my
> computer, and how do I prevent it from happening again?

Are you on a domain but disconnected from the network? I've seen this mess
up installers before. I think it happens when DCOM tries to confirm your
identity, but fails since it wants a DC to talk to.

HTH,
Glenn

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Installing applications on a new XP-Pro installation
    ... Your last sentence - "Do /not/ use Windows' built-in Administrator as your Administrator account" - leaves me a bit confused, ... Also, at the time of XP-Pro installation, the XP-Pro installer prompted me into what is apparently the XP-Pro default mode of immediately creating a user account that appears to have most, if not all, of the Administrator permissions. ... In an Administrator account I can temporarily disable the security software before the install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Multiple Questions
    ... I want the testuser user to be local Administrator of the testlaptops ... Login scripts - I've a bunch of various apps I need installed on ... Assigning to a user will install the app upon logon. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Multiple Questions
    ... I want the testuser user to be local Administrator of the testlaptops ... Login scripts - I've a bunch of various apps I need installed on ... Assigning to a user will install the app upon logon. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: Multiple Questions
    ... I want the testuser user to be local Administrator of the testlaptops ... Login scripts - I've a bunch of various apps I need installed on ... Assigning to a user will install the app upon logon. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server)
  • Re: Installing applications on a new XP-Pro installation
    ... The final result is the same, because in both cases you are running the installer with Administrator credentials. ... In an Administrator account I can temporarily disable the security software before the install. ... Since I am the only user of the PC in question, it isn't clear to me why I would want to install applications as a user. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)