Re: OE unsafe attachments

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 11/08/02

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 16:08:48 -0500

"Wendy" <scharfer@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:1a8d01c28763$d2710710$3bef2ecf@TKMSFTNGXA10...
> How do I get OE to stop blocking attachments from
> perfectly good mail, ie, Airline itineraries?

Try this first... this might let you keep some of the security that this
feature gives you, without disabling it entirely. Thanks to Michel Gallant
who pointed me to this:

===========

I am receiving the error message, "Outlook Express removed access to the
following unsafe attachments in your mail."

A: Information is available by reading the article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329570

Briefly, you can use one of the following two methods:

MODIFY THE UNSAFE FILE LIST
To keep being protected by the Outlook Express file security feature but
just remove certain file types from the Internet Explorer unsafe file list:

NOTE: Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following
steps may be different on your computer.

1) In Control Panel, double-click Folder Options.
2) Click the File Types tab.
3) Click the file type that you want to allow, and then click Advanced.
4) Click to clear the "Confirm open after download" check box.

NOTE: You cannot clear the Confirm open after download check box to allow
certain file types. For example, by default, the Internet Explorer 6 unsafe
file list includes .exe files, and you cannot remove this file type from the
list.

OR, TURN OFF THE OPTION TO USE THE UNSAFE FILE LIST
To disable [and lose the protection of] the "Do not allow attachments to be
saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" security feature:
1) Start Outlook Express.
2) On the Tools menu, click Options.
3) Click the Security tab, click to clear the "Do not allow attachments to
be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" check box under Virus
Protection, and then click OK.

You might want to try the first method first, since the second method
disables this protection entirely.

[Thanks to Michel Gallant, Bill Sisk and others]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cant open attachments in Outlook Express 6.0
    ... I'm now running Windows 2000 Professional ... > "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments ... Click the File Types tab. ... Protection, and then click OK. ...
  • Re: Cant open attachments in Outlook Express 6.0
    ... :> "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments ... just remove certain file types from the Internet Explorer unsafe file ... Click the File Types tab. ... Protection, and then click OK. ...
  • Re: blocked attachments
    ... > on incoming e-mail cannot be opened because Outlook ... Click the File Types tab. ... To disable the "Do not allow attachments to be ... Protection, and then click OK. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Blocked attachments
    ... Click the File Types tab. ... To disable the "Do not allow attachments to be ... be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" check box under Virus ... Protection, and then click OK. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: OE Lockout