Re: messenger service popup

From: Mr C (none@spamme.com)
Date: 10/28/02

From: "Mr C" <none@spamme.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:44:23 -0000

As i understand it, you can Net Send to a specific IP address or host
(/me quickly tests)
yup, you can
the easiest way of blocking this is once again Firewalling off your 135-139
ports from the internet.
This Really should be firewalled you know, especially these days.

There may be ways of blocking this without installing / messing round with a
firewall, i'll have to have a better look at it.

A few Questions for you
-------------------------
How are you connected to the internet ?
What environment do you use windows in?
How clued up are you on TCP/IP

Rgds
Matin Christopher

"Mark Reed" <mreed@reedassociates.com> wrote in message
> I recently read an article on how some of the email spammers are now using
> windows messenger service to launce popup ads on user's screens. This
type
> of ad can pop up even if they are not browsing the internet since it is
> based on messenger services that is commonly used with the NET SEND
> command.
>
> Does anyone know how this works? It is my understanding that the
messenger
> service only works on the subnet the sending host resides on.
>
> M. Reed

Relevant Pages

  • IWF hits back at censorship and secrecy claims
    ... The following is the full transcript from Broadband Genie editor Chris Marling's interview with Sarah Robertson, director of communications for the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF). ... This included its role and remit, accusations of secrecy and censorship, the governments 100 per cent take-up target for its blocking initiative, how the blocking initiative works, and how effective it is. ... "The IWF is an organisation with charitable status, founded in 1996 by the internet industry, which wanted to do its best to address the fact it could inadvertently be hosting illegal content. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • RE: OT: the detection of illegal gateways
    ... Get the MAC address of each node on the network. ... Remember that almost any host on a network could have routing ... The connection that you seek may be on the other side of a windows or ... be responded to via the internet). ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: 2 pc network - cant see host files from pc 2 on pc 1
    ... If the second card is lost on HOST PC then DSL Internet does not connect. ... Ditch the second network card in the one ...
  • RE: Spamcop listed - need help to diagnose why
    ... >> The damage done to the Internet by just a single host that might ... using archaic versions of Exchange, or notes mail, or whatever - these ... All I said was that listing systems that do not ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: virtual server 2005 rs client not able to ping host
    ... If the NIC in the host is dedicated to the Internet connection, ... cannot use it to connect to the guest. ...