Re: Report a hacker

From: Jon (jon_montana@hotmail.com)
Date: 10/09/02

From: "Jon" <jon_montana@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:34:57 -0400

Thanks for the reply...it was my home PC that was hacked. They used a
remote control s/w app (I'm not going to name it here for obvious reasons).
I got IP address, login name, and Computer Name. I contacted the ISP, but
have not received a reply. They are in the UK, I'm in the US. I kind of
figured that there was nothing I could do except lock down my PC. I will
look into the firewall you spoke of...

Thanks again.

--
(DISCLAIMER:  The preceding message reflects the opinion of only 1 out of
billions of Internet and Newsgroup users.  It does not reflect the opinions
"Karl Levinson [x y] (MVP)" <levinson_k@excite.com> wrote in message
> PS I should have mentioned that if you were a company or government
> organization AND could prove financial loss or danger, the FBI [in the US]
> or your local law enforcement might be willing to help.
>
> "Karl Levinson [x y] (MVP)" <levinson_k@excite.com> wrote in message
> > Good luck.  Not much is likely to come of it.  You could try using
> > www.network-tools.com to determine who the ISP is that owns the IP
address
> > [assuming you have the IP address logged somewhere, which is not likely
> > unless you have already taken measures to add third party software or
> > hardware to your system].  However, the ISP is not likely to care or
> accept
> > what you have in the way of proof.
> >
> > What you want to do is to use a firewall software or hardware device and
> > also use software like www.mynetwatchman.com to automatically report any
> > future attempted hacking to the hacker's ISP.  [Sygate is a free
firewall
> > software, or hardware firewall devices start around $70 US for Linksys
and
> > Netgear devices.]
> >
> > Also, follow the instructions at www.microsoft.com/security on how to
> secure
> > your PC, and use antivirus software like Norton that is configured to
> > download updates daily.
> >
> > You don't list what makes you think your PC has been hacked, so it could
> be
> > possible that you haven't really been hacked.
> >
> > "Jon" <jon_montana@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Does anyone know where I could report someone who has hacked into my
PC?