Re: Report a hacker

From: Jon (jon_montana@hotmail.com)
Date: 10/09/02

From: "Jon" <jon_montana@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:34:57 -0400

Thanks for the reply...it was my home PC that was hacked. They used a
remote control s/w app (I'm not going to name it here for obvious reasons).
I got IP address, login name, and Computer Name. I contacted the ISP, but
have not received a reply. They are in the UK, I'm in the US. I kind of
figured that there was nothing I could do except lock down my PC. I will
look into the firewall you spoke of...

Thanks again.

--
(DISCLAIMER:  The preceding message reflects the opinion of only 1 out of
billions of Internet and Newsgroup users.  It does not reflect the opinions
"Karl Levinson [x y] (MVP)" <levinson_k@excite.com> wrote in message
> PS I should have mentioned that if you were a company or government
> organization AND could prove financial loss or danger, the FBI [in the US]
> or your local law enforcement might be willing to help.
>
> "Karl Levinson [x y] (MVP)" <levinson_k@excite.com> wrote in message
> > Good luck.  Not much is likely to come of it.  You could try using
> > www.network-tools.com to determine who the ISP is that owns the IP
address
> > [assuming you have the IP address logged somewhere, which is not likely
> > unless you have already taken measures to add third party software or
> > hardware to your system].  However, the ISP is not likely to care or
> accept
> > what you have in the way of proof.
> >
> > What you want to do is to use a firewall software or hardware device and
> > also use software like www.mynetwatchman.com to automatically report any
> > future attempted hacking to the hacker's ISP.  [Sygate is a free
firewall
> > software, or hardware firewall devices start around $70 US for Linksys
and
> > Netgear devices.]
> >
> > Also, follow the instructions at www.microsoft.com/security on how to
> secure
> > your PC, and use antivirus software like Norton that is configured to
> > download updates daily.
> >
> > You don't list what makes you think your PC has been hacked, so it could
> be
> > possible that you haven't really been hacked.
> >
> > "Jon" <jon_montana@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Does anyone know where I could report someone who has hacked into my
PC?

> > > TIA
> > >
> > > --
> > > (DISCLAIMER:  The preceding message reflects the opinion of only 1 out
> of
> > > billions of Internet and Newsgroup users.  It does not reflect the
> > opinions
> > > of any businesses, clubs, organizations, religious groups, unions,
> > > associations, companies, people, or small farm animals.)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Report a hacker
    ... > www.network-tools.com to determine who the ISP is that owns the IP address ... > hardware to your system]. ... > also use software like www.mynetwatchman.com to automatically report any ... [Sygate is a free firewall ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Report a hacker
    ... hardware to your system]. ... the ISP is not likely to care or accept ... [Sygate is a free firewall ... The preceding message reflects the opinion of only 1 out of ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Vulnerability when no internet applications are active
    ... I asked for opinions GIVEN the assumptions that I laid out. ... You state that the firewall could not possibly have any performance ... Chances of an attack are large and likely witout a NAT router or some ... other hardware similar feature. ...
  • Re: Port Security question
    ... > I am using just the Win XP firewall because the ZoneAlarm Pro I ... > Port 139 doesn't appear to exist ... I say "the same ISP", as your ISP contract probably explicitly forbids ... the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: CPU runing at 100%, help
    ... Could be hardware - but.. ... Clean up and find out.. ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...